Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Belding

Surrounded by Otisco Township, the City of Belding, Michigan is in northwestern Ionia County in the central portion of the Lower Peninsula. Belding is about thirty miles north-northeast of Grand Rapids.

The Flat River runs through the center of town, forming a small portion of the city's eastern boundary, then entering the city in the central-east, flowing west, and slightly north, to the center of town, then turning south, existing at the center-south portion of the city, where it forms a portion of the city's southern border.

The chief route through the city is M-44, which becomes State Street within the city limits. Lesser routes include Belding Road (State Street), Long Lake Road (Kiddville Street), and Zahm Road (Bridge Street). The city of Greenville is 7.5 miles north, Ionia is 15.3 miles southeast, Lowell is 16.5 miles south-southwest, and Rockford is 19.7 miles west of Belding.

Levi Broas is generally acknowledged as having been the first permanent European-American settler in the area that was to become Belding, although some histories list him as Charles Broas.

By whatever name, Broas established a sawmill there in 1838, and the settlement that arose around the mill became known as Broas Rapids. In 1842, Lucius Patterson bought an interest in the Broas mill, later acquiring the majority interest.

On February 23, 1857, a post office was established under the name of Patterson Mills, with Andrew J. Reynolds as its first postmaster. Later, for a short time, the town was known as Hog Wallow.

In 1855, Hiram Belding acquired the land of Levi Broas. To help pay for it, he sold silk goods on commission, beginning the Belding Brothers and Company, a silk-making business that led to a renaming of the town and its post office, which became Belding on September 18, 1871. Belding was incorporated as a city in 1893.

Constructed in 1906, the Belrockton Dormitory was one of three boarding houses provided by the Belding Brothers and Company to house its single female workers, providing accommodations for a hundred residents and staff. Today, the building serves as the Belding Museum.

Another historic building built by the Belding Brothers is now known as the Alvah N. Belding Memorial Library. When a fire destroyed the town's small library in 1893, Alvah N. Belding of the Belding and Brothers Company built a new library, gifting it to the City of Belding.

Downtown Belding includes several elements reflecting a sense of history. Besides the library and museum, several historic homes remain. The Richardson Silk Mill is on the National Registry of Historic Places, as is the Pere Marquette Railway Belding Depot and the Alvah N. Belding Memorial Library, while the Belrockton Dormitory is on the State Register of Historic Places.

The city hall, post office, and library are located downtown. The city's youth are served by the Belding Area Public School District, whose school campuses are all located within the city.

In addition to the recreational facilities that are part of the school district, the city has five public parks: Central Riverside Park, East Riverside Park, Lightning Bend Preserve, Water Street Park, and Demorest Field. With the exception of the latter, all are adjacent to the Flat River.

The focus of this category is on the City of Belding, Michigan. Websites representing the municipal government or any of its departments or programs are appropriate for this category, as are those of Belding businesses and industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Services & Industries

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Belding on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!