Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Bloomfield Hills

The City of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan is in the southeastern quadrant of Oakland County. Bordered by Birmingham on the southeast, it is otherwise surrounded by Bloomfield Township.

Primarily residential, Bloomfield Hills is home to several educational, religious, and cultural institutions, but there is also a prominent commercial region near the City Center.

A northern suburb of Metro Detroit, Bloomfield Hills is about twenty-five miles northwest of downtown Detroit. The chief route through the city is M-1, which enters the northwest quadrant of the city and exits in the southeast corner. Other routes include Charing Cross Road, Covington Road, Cranbrook Road, Eastways Road, Hickory Grove Road, Kensington Road, Lahser Road, Lone Pine Road, Long Lake Road, Opdyke Road, Vaughan Road, and Quarton Road.

Pontiac is 5.0 miles northwest of the city, while Orchard Lake is 6.4 miles west, Troy is 6.7 miles southeast, Auburn Hills is 7.5 miles north, Southfield is 7.9 miles south, and Rochester Hills is 10.1 miles northeast.

Prior to the 19th century, a Native American trail came through the area that would later become Bloomfield Hills, connecting the Detroit area with Saginaw Bay and the Straits of Mackinac. The first European-American to acquire land in the area was Colonel Benjamin H. Pierce, the brother of Franklin Pierce, who would soon be elected president. The land entry by Colonel Pierce was filed on January 28, 1819, but there is no record of his actually settling the land.

Later that year, Judge Amasa Bagley became the first permanent settler of the town, initially known as Bagley's Corners, later Bloomfield Center, and now Bloomfield Hills. Other early settlers were John W. Hunter, John Hamilton, and Elijah Willets. William Morris opened a tavern, where township meetings were held for several years.

In 1820, Oakland County was divided into Bloomfield Township and Pontiac Township, with Bloomfield covering the southern part of the county. The area that would later become Bloomfield Hills was agricultural until the early 20th century, at which time wealthy residents of Detroit began buying up the land.

A one-room schoolhouse was built in 1850, and the Oakland Railway extended its tracks from Detroit to Pontiac, along the Saginaw Trail, establishing a depot at what was then known as Bloomfield Centre in 1897. In 1912, Bloomfield Hills Seminary was opened and, that same year, the Bloomfield Hills Country Club was completed, and Bloomfield Open Hunt was founded in 1917. Bloomfield Hills was incorporated as a village in 1927, and as a city in 1932. A post office was established on February 26, 1929, with Eugene Watson as its first postmaster.

The focus of this category is on the City of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Appropriate resources include websites representing the city or any of its departments and programs, as well as local businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events.

Categories

Education & Instruction

Faith & Spirituality

Property Sales & Rentals

Things to Do & Places to Go

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Bloomfield Hills on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!