Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Britton

Britton, Michigan is an incorporated village in the northeastern portion of Lenawee County. Although administered independently, the village is in north-central Ridgeway Township.

The main routes through the village are Britton Highway (Main Street) and Monroe Road (Chicago Boulevard), which intersect just south of the center of the village. Other routes Kniffen Road, which forms the northern boundaries of Britton, and Centennial Road, which is its southern boundary.

The city of Tecumseh is 6.0 miles west, Petersburg is 11.2 miles southeast, Milan is 13.4 miles northeast, and Adrian is 16.6 miles southwest of Britton, while the village of Dundee is 9.0 miles east-southeast, Deerfield is 9.3 miles south, and Blissfield is 12.8 miles to the south.

The village was founded as a railroad town when the Wabash Railroad established a station there, naming it Balch. A post office was established at a store operated by John Britton on August 13, 1881, with Britton as the first postmaster. After several trips to Detroit and the payment of five hundred dollars, Britton succeeded in persuading the railroad to rename the station Britton, and the post office took that name on April 13, 1888.

Britton had a population of 345 in 1900, the year that it first appeared on the census, its peak population was 699 in 2000, but it had dropped to 586 by the 2010 census.

The focus of this category is on the village of Britton, Michigan. Websites representing the village itself, as well as industries and businesses, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, and events in Britton, are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Britton on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!