Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Brooklyn

Situated in the Irish Hills region of the southern Lower Peninsula of Michigan, the village of Brooklyn is Columbia Township, in the southeast portion of Jackson County.

Surrounded by Columbia Township, Brooklyn is administered autonomously. Cement City is 5.8 miles southwest, Onsted is 8.4 miles south, Grass Lake is 12.1 miles north, Jackson is 15.1 miles northwest, Manchester is 15.1 miles northeast, and Tecumseh is 19.1 miles southeast of Brooklyn. The chief routes through the village are Brooklyn Road (Main Street), which is also known as M-50, as well as Cement City Road (Tiffany Street), Jefferson Road (Marshall Street), Monroe Pike (Monroe Street), Wamplers Lake Road (Constitution Avenue), which is also known as M-124, and Waterman Road (Mill Street).

The village is widely known for Michigan International Speedway, a two-mile racetrack that is used primarily for NASCAR events. Although MIS is south of the village boundaries, it is within the Brooklyn postal route, and not within any other village or city, so it would be appropriate for this guide.

The Raisin River is in the northeastern part of the village, while Goose Creek is in northwestern Brooklyn. A portion of Hills' Heart of the Lakes Golf Course is in the northeastern corner of the village, while the larger part of the course is outside of the village boundaries.

The first European-American to make a land claim in the area was Calvin H. Swaine, a Baptist minister from New York, who moved to the area in June of 1832 and built a sawmill. A community grew up around the sawmill, and a post office was established on July 28, 1834, with Swaine as the first postmaster. Co-founders included Calvin H. Swaine Jr., Chauncey Hawley, Lewis Cass, and Israel Love, and the new settlement was originally known as Swainesville. On October 25, 1836, a vote was carried to change the name of the community to Brooklyn, for the New York borough, which was then a city. Brooklyn, Michigan was incorporated as a village in 1879.

Given its proximity to several lakes, Brooklyn was originally a vacation spot for people who lived in the Detroit Metro area, and built cottages near the lakes or the river. However, when I-94 was built nearby in the 1950s, the village established a year-round population, which was boosted by the opening of Michigan International Speedway in the 1960s.

Until the 1970 census, the population of the village was under a thousand.

The focus of this guide is on the incorporated village of Brooklyn, Michigan. Websites representing the village itself, or any industries, businesses, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, or events are on-topic in this category, including sports teams or leagues, recreational opportunities, and entertainment venues.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Brooklyn on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!