Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Burnips

Burnips, Michigan is an unincorporated village in central Salem Township, which is in northern Allegan County, in the Lower Peninsula, about twenty-five miles south-southwest of Grand Rapids.

As an unincorporated community, Burnips does not have defined boundaries, but it is centered on the intersection of 30th Street and 143rd Avenue, with a population area extending west of 30th Street and south of 143rd Avenue to 142nd Avenue.

The unincorporated village of New Salem is about four miles northeast of Burnips, and Diamond Springs is about five miles southwest. The city of Hudsonville is 10.6 miles north, Zeeland is 14.1 miles northwest, Allegan is 14.2 miles south, Wayland is 14.9 miles southeast, Holland is 17.3 miles west-northwest, and Fennville is 24.0 miles southwest of Burnips, while the village of Hopkins is 11.3 miles south-southeast.

The Little Rabbit River is east and south of the village.

The community was first known as Salem Center, for its location in the center of Salem Township, but when a post office was established on April 10, 1868, it was given the name of Burnip's Corners, and John S. Warner was the first postmaster. The town was named for James Burnip, who owned land there and had built the first store in the community in 1856. He subdivided a portion of his land and began selling lots for building purposes in 1858. On June 7, 1915, the name of the post office and community was shortened to Burnips. The post office remains in operation.

The focus of this guide is on the community known as Burnips, Michigan, and may include online resources such as websites representing the community or any businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, or events within the community, or within the area served by the Burnips post office.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Burnips on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!