Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Burr Oak

The village of Burr Oak is in southeastern St. Joseph County. Surrounded by Burr Oak Township, the village is about seven miles northeast of Sturgis.

Middle Colon Road (Highland Avenue) forms the western boundaries of the village, while Burr Oak Road forms its eastern boundary. Hathaway Road leads south the central-southern part of the village. The city of Bronson is 7.5 miles northeast of Burr Oak, while the village of Colon is 8.9 miles north, and Centreville is 14.8 miles southeast.

Named for the trees that existed in the area, Burr Oak was settled around 1835. A post office was established there on May 10, 1837, under the name of Burr Oaks, with Julius A. Thompson as postmaster. However, the post office was closed on July 24, 1853.

In anticipation of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad extending its tracks through the area in 1850, William Lock, a major area landowner, offered to donate land to the railroad for a depot if it would be named Lock's Station. In 1851, the village was platted and recorded by William Lock and Henry Weaver. When the post office reopened on February 16, 1852, it was named Lock's Station, and John E. Clewes was appointed postmaster. Five years later, townspeople voted to rename the post office and village, at which time it became Burr Oak. The village was incorporated in 1859.

At its peak, in 1970, the population of Burr Oak was 873. It has declined slightly since then, but was still above 800 at the time of the 2010 census.

The focus of this guide is on the village of Burr Oak, and its resources may include websites representing the village itself or any businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, or events within the village.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Burr Oak on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!