Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Byron Center

Not to be confused with the Village of Byron in Shiawassee County, Byron Center, Michigan is an unincorporated village in southwest Kent County. As a census-designated place (CDP), it has defined boundaries, unlike other unincorporated communities.

The community was named for its position near the center of Byron Township. Downtown Grand Rapids is about fifteen miles north of Byron Center, while the village is about eight miles south of the west side of the city.

84th Street SW (east-west) and Byron Center Avenue SW (north-south) intersect the community just east of the center. 78th Street SW forms the northern boundary of the CDP, 92nd Street SW its southern boundary, Kenewa Avenue SW its eastern boundary, and Burlingame Avenue SW its eastern boundary. The city of Wyoming is 11.0 miles north of Byron Center, Kentwood is 12.1 miles northeast, Hudsonville is 12.4 miles northwest, and Wayland is 13.6 miles south of the community, while the Village of Caledonia is 12.8 miles east.

Today, Byron Center is largely a bedroom community for people who work in the Grand Rapids Metro Region. The community is easily accessible from two major expressways, and is only about fifteen minutes from downtown Grand Rapids.

Douglas Walker Park, just west of Byron Center, features playgrounds, ballfields, a horseshoe court, and a link to Kent Trails, a fifteen-mile paved path that runs to Grand Rapids. In the central-north boundary of the village, Railside Golf Club is a privately owned 18-hole golf course, with a driving range, swimming pool, children's pond, full-service clubhouse, and an on-site restaurant. Located near the center of the village, the Byron Center Museum & Historical Society operates an 1870s-era town hall, with several displays and genealogy research facilities.

The first European-American settler in the region was Nathan Boynton, who came in 1836, the year that Byron Township was organized. The village was formed when the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad line from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids established a station there around 1836. On October 15, 1869, a post office was established in Byron Center, and the village was platted and recorded for Augustine Godwin by Samuel S. Towner on August 6, 1872, although it was never incorporated.

The focus of this guide is on the village of Byron Center, Michigan. Topics related to the village, or to any businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, and events within the village, are appropriate for this category.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Services & Industries

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Byron Center on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!