Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Byron

Byron, Michigan is an incorporated village in Burns Township, in southeastern Shiawassee County.

The Shiawassee River flows north and west through the center of the village, Byron Mill Pond is in the lower eastern part of the village, and Willow Brook Golf Club takes up a large portion of the village in the southwest. Byron Sesquicentennial Park is in the village center.

The chief routes through Byron are Bath Road (Maple Street) and Byron Road (Saginaw Street), which intersect just east of the center of the village. Other routes include Lehring Road and Silver Lake Road. The village of Gaines is 4.8 miles north-northeast and Bancroft is 9.0 miles northwest, while the city of Durand is 7.3 miles north, Linden is 9.9 miles east, and Howell is 16.1 miles south of Byron.

Byron began as the terminus of a stagecoach line from Detroit that ran along what is now Rose Center Road and Silver Lake Road. Judge Samuel W. Dexter is credited with having founded the village in 1824. However, he sold his property to Major Francis J. Provost in 1836, and Major Provost became the first postmaster of Byron on August 12, 1837. He held that position until 1842, when it transferred to Holden White, who had opened the first store in Byron.

In 1873, Byron was incorporated as a village, with Charles H. Lemmon as president. In 1885, the Toledo, Ann Arbor & Northern Michigan Railroad built its line through Byron after a $15,001 pledge and a right-of-way.

The focus of this category is on the village of Byron, Michigan. Websites representing the village itself, or any businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, or events, are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Byron on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!