Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Calumet

The village of Calumet is in northern Houghton County, in the lower Keweenaw Peninsula in the northern Upper Peninsula, about thirty miles south of Copper Harbor.

It is bordered to the north by Calumet Township, to the south by the unincorporated communities of Newton and Blue Jacket, to the east by Blue Jacket and Calumet Township, and to the west by Yellow Jacket and Calumet Township. The village includes the Calumet Downtown Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Most of the village is included in the larger Calumet Historic District, which commemorates the area's significance in the region's copper mining industry.

The village sits on two thousand miles of underground mine shafts, drifts, and stopes, which have been empty for decades. Portions of the Keweenaw National Historical Park are within the village, largely covering the complex of the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company's main operations.

The area that became known as Calumet was settled in 1864 and named Red Jacket, for a Seneca chief. Nearby Larium was known as Calumet until 1895, and the current village of Calumet was not so named until 1929. Calumet referred to the clay or stone bowl of the Indian peace pipe. Under the name of Red Jacket, growth in the village was driven by the copper mines in the area, and was incorporated as a town in 1867. Between 1871 and 1880, the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company produced more than half of the copper in the United States. Besides copper mining and smelting, other new residents were engaged in the dairy industry and truck farming.

A post office was established in Red Jacket on December 24, 1866, with Edmund F. Krellwitz as its postmaster. The township was organized in 1866, and the village developed around the mines, and its first residents were almost exclusively officers and employees of the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company. By 1900, the village had reached its peak population of 4,668, declining nearly every decade since, to just over 700 by 2010.

In 1913, Red Jacket was hit with what became known as the Copper Country Strike of 1913-1914., after which its population began a decline that was continued in every census year except for 1980 and 2000, where there were slight increases. Near the end of 1913, the town was the site of the Italian Hall Disaster. Striking miners were gathered at Italian Hall on Christmas Eve for a party when a cry of "fire" prompted a stampede in which seventy-three victims, most of them children, were killed. There was no fire.

The decline was exacerbated by a sharp drop in demand and the price of copper following World War I. Thousands of people left Red Jacket, many of them moving to Detroit, where the auto industry was flourishing. All of the mines were shut down during the Great Depression. The mines were reopened during World War II, but not at anything approaching its previous levels, and they were shut down completely in 1968 by another labor strike.

In 1929, the Red Jacket was renamed Calumet, and incorporated as a village.

Today Calumet's economy is based largely on historical tourism and outdoor recreation, boasting several historic attractions, summer events, and year-round activities.

The 1898 Red Jacket Fire Hall is on the National Register of Historic Places, and currently houses the Copper Country Firefighters Museum. The Keweenaw National Historical Park Visitor Center features three stories of exhibits relating to Calumet's copper mining history, and the Calumet Historic District is both a National Historic Landmark District and on the National Register of Historic Places. The Calumet Colosseum, the village's main ice arena, is the oldest indoor ice rink in North America, and the Calumet and Hecla Library is said to contain more volumes in its collection than the Michigan State Library. Each June, Calumet hosts Pasty Fest, commemorating the pasty, a Cornish food staple that served as a common dinner for miners a hundred years ago, and continues to be popular throughout the Upper Peninsula.

The main routes through the village are M-203 (Pine Street) and Centennial Heights Road (6th Street). US Highway 41 is just east of the village. The village of Laurium is less than two miles south-southeast of Calumet, while the cities of Hancock and Houghton are 11.4 and 14.2 miles south-southwest.

The focus of this category is on the village of Calumet, Michigan. Websites representing the village or any businesses, industries, schools, churches, attractions, or events within the village are appropriate resources.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Places to Stay

Services & Industries

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Calumet on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!