Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Camden

Camden, Michigan is one of two incorporated villages in Camden Township, the other being Montgomery, about four miles northwest of Camden.

Situated in southwest Hillsdale County, the West Fork of the St. Joseph River passes through the northeastern portion of the village.

The main routes through the village are M-49 (South Eden Road), which is also known as South Main Street, and West Camden Road (Bell Street). The City of Reading is 6.2 miles north, and the unincorporated village of Amboy is 4.9 miles east-southeast, while Billingstown, Ohio is 6.1 miles south-southwest, and Cooney, Ohio is 6.7 miles south.

Before 1835, the area was a wilderness, and without roads. Camden was founded by Easton T. Chester, his son, Orson D. Chester, and Nathan Alward, the primary landowners, and originally situated along the St. Joseph River, which provided power for sawmills built by Frederick Perring in 1838, and Easton T. Chester in 1839.

On August 10, 1837, a post office was established, with James Fowle as postmaster, and named Cranbrook. The name of the post office and town was renamed on September 7, 1840, for a town in Oneida County, New York. Originally named Camden Center for its location in the center of Camden Township, it was later shortened to Camden.

In the early 1870s, the village moved south to its current location, and was incorporated as a village in 1899.

The emphasis of this guide is on the village of Camden, Michigan. Appropriate resources include websites representing the village itself, or businesses, industries, schools, churches, attractions, or events within the village, or with a Camden post office address.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Camden on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!