Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Carney

Carney, Michigan is an incorporated village in central Menominee County, in the southern Upper Peninsula. Although it is situated near the center of Nadeau Township, it is administered autonomously.

The chief route through the village is US Highway 41. Other routes include County Road 374, Old US Highway 41, and G 18 Road. The unincorporated community of Nadeau about a mile and a half north of the Carney, while the village of Powers is 7.2 miles to the north, and Daggett is 9.6 miles to the south. The nearest cities are Stephenson, which is 13.0 miles to the south, Norway 28.3 miles northwest, and Escanaba 29.8 miles northeast.

The small village was founded as a station on the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, and named for Frederick Carney, a lumberman from Marinette, Wisconsin who had land interests and a warehouse at the townsite. On November 14, 1882, a post office was established in Carney, with Charles A. Brown as the first postmaster.

Currently, Carney has a population below two hundred, but its peak population was just over two hundred.

The focus of this guide is on the small village of Carney itself, or any businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, or events within the village.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Carney on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!