Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Casnovia

The village of Casnovia, Michigan straddles the borders of Muskegon and Kent counties, situated partly in each. Although administered autonomously, it is in both Casnovia and Tyrone townships.

The chief route through the Casnovia is M-37 and M-46, which are together known as Apple Avenue within the village limits, but diverge just west of the village, with M-37 leading north while M-46 continues west. Kent City is 2.3 miles southeast, Grant is 8.1 miles north, and Ravenna is 11.4 miles southwest of the village. Grand Rapids and Muskegon are about twenty miles from Casnovia, south, and west respectively.

The village grew up around a tavern operated by Lot Fulkerson around 1850, at which time it was entirely in Kent County. A post office was established on October 9, 1851, with Daniel David Bennett as postmaster.

On July 13, 1862, the village was platted and recorded by J.H. Sanford for R.H. Merritt, John More, R.H Topping, and S. Topping, Richard Hawkins, and Harmon Hamilton. In 1875, Casnovia was incorporated as a village. In some early records, it was spelled Casinova and Cazenovia.

The peak population of Casnovia was 403 in 1970, and it has decreased only slightly since that time.

The focal point of this guide is the village of Casnovia, Michigan. Appropriate resources may include websites representing the village itself, or any local businesses, industries, schools, churches, attraction, or events.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Casnovia on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!