Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Cassopolis

Situated in the southwestern portion of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, the Village of Cassopolis was designed to be the seat of Cass County, so its position in the center of the county was no accident.

Largely in the southeastern corner of LaGrange Township, a portion of the village extends east into Penn Township. The village is bordered by Jefferson Township on the south, while Calvin Township is nearby to the southeast.

Cassopolis is a traditional Midwestern small town with an older, urban core surrounded by residential neighborhoods. Most of the county offices, the courthouse, and fairgrounds are in Cassopolis. The Cassopolis Public School District provides a K-12 curriculum for the village and surrounding area, and the Cass District Library's main branch is in Cassopolis, including its Local History branch.

The chief routes through the village are M-60 and M-62. Vandalia is 5.6 miles east, Dowagiac is 8.1 miles northwest, Edwardsburg is 9.7 miles south-southwest, and Niles is 15.4 miles southwest of Cassopolis.

Stone Lake, a 148-acre body of water in the southwestern part of the village, is 56-feet deep at its deepest point, and popular for bluegill and northern pike fishing. Southeast of the village is Diamond Lake, a 1,020-acre lake, 64-feet deep at its deepest point, in which anglers can catch bluegill, largemouth bass, northern pike, rock bass, smallmouth bass, and walleye. Several smaller lakes are in the nearby surrounding area.

Abram Tietsort, Jr. and his family, the first European-American settlers, came from Ohio in 1829, the same year that Cass County and the county seat were organized the State Legislature, and named for Territorial Governor Lewis Cass.

Although it had already been designated the county seat, the village was platted in 1831 and recorded by its proprietors, Oliver Johnson, Ephraim McCleary, Alexander H. Redfield, Elias B. Sherman, and Abram Tietsort. On August 17, 1832, a post office was established, with Mr. Redfield as the first postmaster. Cassopolis was incorporated as a village in 1863. Originally spelled Cassapolis, its first newspaper, the National Democrat, changed it to Cassopolis in 1865.

Cassopolis was a transit point on the Underground Railroad, in which anti-slavery sympathizers assisted refugee slaves from the Southern States to gain freedom in the North. Due to the 1850 Fugitive Slave Law, several refugees continued through Michigan to Canada, where they would not be deported to the South, although many chose to settle in various parts of Michigan, including Cass County.

The focus of this guide is on the Village of Cassopolis, Michigan. Appropriate resources include websites representing the village itself, or businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events within the village.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Cassopolis on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!