Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Cement City

The Village of Cement City, Michigan is mostly in Woodstock Township, Lenawee County, although a portion of the village extends north into Columbia Township, Jackson County.

The chief routes through the village are Cary Road, Cement City Highway, Cement City Road, Lewis Road, and Vicary Road, although US Highway 12 runs east-west just south of the village limits, and US Highway 127 runs north-south to the west of Cement City. The City of Jackson is fifteen miles north of Cement City, while the village of Brooklyn is 5.8 miles southwest, Addison is 7.7 miles south, Onsted is 11.8 miles southeast, and Hanover is 16.7 miles to the northwest.

Cement City is in the southern quadrant of the Lower Peninsula.

Goose Lake, Little Goose Lake, and Goose Creek are in the southern part of the village. Goose Lake is a 398-acre body of water that is partially in the southwestern corner of the village, although most of it is outside of the village limits. The 37-acre Little Goose Lake is east of Goose Lake, and Goose Creek is a small stream that is formed in a marshy area of Somerset Township, flowing in an easterly and northerly direction through Lake Somerset, Goose Lake, Little Goose Lake, and Lake Columbia, before serving as a tributary to the River Raisin just north of Brooklyn.

The village topography is gently rolling, with a maximum elevation of 1,065 feet above sea level, while a very small portion of the village in the northwest and northeast corners is nearly level.

Settled around 1838, Cement City was originally known as Woodstock. It was a station on the Cincinnati Northern, which later became the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railway, also known as the Big Four Railroad, then the New York Central Railroad, Penn Central Railroad, and Conrail.

On January 3, 1838, a post office was established, with Almer Smith as postmaster. The post office was named for Woodstock, Vermont, the hometown of Charles M. McKenzie, an early resident. The post office was closed on October 13, 1859, but reopened from December 3, 1859, to May 5, 1871, and from January 17, 1881, to May 21, 1887. On February 17, 1868, the post office was reopened as Kelly's Corners, named for Orson Kelly, a local landowner who operated a general store, with John E. Turk as postmaster. On December 6, 1886, the post office name was renamed, Woodstock.

Goose Lake and Silver Lake, just southwest of the village, contained a significant quantity of marl, a combination of clay and calcium carbonate that could be used to make cement. The Peninsula Portland Cement Company was founded in 1889, and a cement plant was founded in Woodstock in the fall of that year. It was said to be the first factory in the world to be completely powered by electricity.

On February 21, 1901, the name of the post office and town was changed to Cement, in honor of the cement company that had become a major local employer. The following month, on March 5, its name was changed to Cement City. The village was laid out by William Cowhan, although it wasn't incorporated as a village until 1953.

The cement industry operated for more than sixty years before closing in 1961, laying off more than a hundred men. The cement plant was cleared for redevelopment in the 1990s, but its redevelopment did not come about. Today, Cement City no longer produces cement. With a population of just over four hundred, Cement City is largely a rural village with a few farms outside of the village boundaries, and multiple concentrations of low-density developments within the village, few businesses, and no industrial operations.

The focus of this guide is on the Village of Cement City, Michigan, and may include such online resources as websites representing the village or any businesses, churches, organizations, attractions, or events within the village.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Cement City on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!