Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Centreville

Named for its position in the center of St. Joseph County, the Village of Centreville, Michigan is the county seat.

The Prairie River flows around the northern segment of the village.

The main routes through the village are the M-86 (West Burr Oak Street, East Main Street), Centreville-Constantine Road (West Main Street), Covered Bridge Road (North Clark Street), Klinger Lake Road (South Clark Street), and North Angling Road (North Dean Street). Three Rivers is 6.5 miles west-northwest of Centreville, Constantine is 9.5 miles southwest, Mendon is 9.7 miles northeast, Colon is 12.7 miles east-northeast, and Sturgis is 14.6 miles southeast.

Thomas W. Langley is acknowledged as the first permanent settler on the site that was to become Centreville, although the village had already been platted and recorded by the proprietors, Electra W. Deane, Daniel B. Miller, and Charles Noble, and Robert Clark, Jr. Although no one had yet settled the land, it was owned by several individuals, and had been designated as the county seat.

Langley purchased the land upon which the village was platted in the early 1830s, and opened a tavern. Within a few months, he had completed construction on a small courthouse, a log hotel, blacksmith shop, store, and buildings intended to serve as a school, a post office, and a church sanctuary. On March 2, 1833, a post office was established, with Langley as the first postmaster, and Centreville was incorporated as a village in 1837.

George Talbot and Henry Cushman built flour mills in Centreville, and Mr. Langley constructed a dam which he sold to the mill. The first mill burned in 1856 but was soon rebuilt. In 1896, the Centreville Roller Mills began operation and was capable of producing a hundred barrels of flour per day. In 1872, the Centreville Knit Goods Manufacturing Company began operations, later becoming Dr. Denton Sleeping Garment Mills.

St. Joseph County Bank opened in 1837, and the Farmers and Merchants Bank opened in 1838. However, these banks soon failed. Established in 1873, the First National Bank was the village's first stable bank.

By 1900, Centreville had a water and electric company, a cemetery, a newspaper, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Baptist churches, and a Masonic Lodge. In 1867, the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad opened Nottawa Station in Centreville, named for Nottawa Township, and Wasepi Station was opened in 1874 at the junction of the Michigan Central and Grand Rapids lines. Not only was it a junction, but it was also a shipping station for cider and dried fruit.

The village site was just north of the Michigan Central Railroad and south of the Prairie River, straddling Nottawa and Lockport townships, at the geographical center of the county.

The focus of this category is on the village of Centreville, Michigan. Online resources appropriate for this guide include websites representing the village, as well as local businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Centreville on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!