Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Clawson

The City of Clawson, Michigan is a second-ring northern suburb of Detroit. Bordering Troy to the north and east, Madison Heights to the east, and Royal Oak to the south and west, Clawson is about fifteen miles north of Detroit.

Other nearby cities include Birmingham, Berkley, and Bloomfield Hills. I-75 (Chrysler Freeway) is a short distance north and east of Clawson and is connected to the interstate by Livernois Road (Main Street) and 14 Mile Road. Crooks Road serves as the city's western boundary, and West Maple Road forms a portion of its northern boundary. Other routes through the city include Normandy Road and Rochester Road, while Stephenson Highway parallels the interstate east of Clawson, but west of the interstate.

At just over two square miles in area, Clawson is a small city, but its population is approaching twelve thousand. Although it has been declining each decade since 1970 when it reached its peak population of 17,617, its population is projected to increase slightly in the 2020 census.

Following the War of 1812, two million acres of Michigan land was to be granted to veterans of the war, but when an 1815 survey suggested that the land in southeastern Michigan was unfit for habitation, the Michigan land was withdrawn from the war veteran settlement plan. When later surveys from the earlier ones to be inaccurate, the land was offered for sale. Oakland County was organized in 1818, at which time it was twice its current size. Since there were then fewer than sixty families in the county, it was administered by Macomb County. As more families began to move into the area in the 1820s, Oakland County was separated from Macomb County, and Pontiac was named the county seat.

The first European-American settler in the area now known as Clawson was David Williams, who bought 160 acres of woodland from the government in 1822, at a cost of fifty dollars. Joshua Fay bought 160 acres in 1826, building a home in 1829

As others came, their land purchases were identified as sections 3 and 4 of Town 1, Range 11 East and sections 33 and 34 of Town 2 East, Bloomfield Township. In 1827, Towns 1 and 2 became Troy Township. In 1832, Royal Oak separated from Troy and became Royal Oak Township, after which those living north of the Townline Road (14 Mile Road) were in Troy Township, while those living south of the Townline Road were in Royal Oak Township. This continued until Clawson was incorporated as a village in 1920.

The town that became Clawson was first known locally as The Corners, although it was sometimes known as Pumachug. When John Lawson opened a store there, he applied for a post office to be named Lawson, but when the post office was established on August 16, 1880, the post office had named it Clawson, and no one bothered to correct the error. Andrew A. Bean was the first postmaster.

The first road built through the city, in 1827, was known as Niles Road but is now known as Main Street. In 1829, a plank toll road was built to follow an old Indian trail. Then known as Paint Creek Trail, it is now Rochester Road. Townline Road (14 Mile Road) was completed in 1874 and is also known as the Clawson Road. Improved roads brought businesses and industries, including a couple of sawmills. James G. Johnson dammed the Little Run Creek to power his water-driven sawmill in 1832, while the other mill was opened by Dewitt Williams and Lorenso Chillson in 1849.

The Interurban Railways extended its track through Clawson in 1899, connecting the village with Detroit and Rochester. The railroad allowed people who worked in Detroit to live in Clawson, where land was less expensive and families could have large gardens and farm animals.

The 1900s brought significant changes to Clawson, as more houses were built, including several that were prefabricated and sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company, and some of which still exist. The largest change came when developers began to subdivide the land, dividing farmland into one-acre homesites.

After World War I, residents began clamoring for a local village government to preclude annexation by neighboring cities. After its incorporation on May 29, 1920, the village began plans for a new sewer system, and police and fire departments were organized within a couple of years. Clawson's largest period of growth came after World War II, as more homes were built, businesses were opened, and schools and churches were built to meet the needs of the growing population. The 1970s introduced a long period of decline, but there are indications that the city will be growing again.

The focus of this category is on the City of Clawson, Michigan. Appropriate topics include websites representing the city or any individuals, businesses, industries, organizations, schools, places of worship, attractions, and events within the city.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Places to Eat

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Clawson on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!