Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Clio

The City of Clio, Michigan is in Vienna Township, in northern Genesee County, about ten miles north of Flint.

Mt. Morris is 5.3 miles south of Clio, while Montrose is 6.0 miles west, Birch Run is 6.1 miles north, and Otisville is 11.9 miles to the east. Pine Run Creek flows through the center of the city, while Mason Drain is in the southeast. Clio is centered on the intersection of West Vienna Road (M-57), which becomes Vienna Street within the city limits, and North Clio Road, which is Mill Street within the city. I-75 (US-23) run north-south about one mile west of Clio.

Although it is presumed that a few European-Americans had moved into the area that was to become Clio before that time, the settlement began to grow after Theodore P. Dean built a sawmill there in 1837. It grew slowly, however; the sawmill and a few crude houses were all that was there until about 1855. Among the early settlers was the Varna family, who established a farm and also engaged in the buying and selling of grain. In the early 1850s, the Austin Griffes family opened a grist mill.

In 1861, the Pere Marquette Railroad established a station on land that was part of the Varna family farm, naming the station Varna. As with many other Michigan localities, the coming of the railroad spurred growth in the community. The village was platted, stores and manufacturing businesses were opened, and lumber harvested from the surrounding region was shipped to market via the railroad. The railroad also provided passenger service. The first engine was known as the Pollywog, and the passenger train did business for several years as the Pioneer, which included one baggage car and a coach. The railroad is now part of the Saginaw Bay Southern Railway and still runs through Clio, although it now carries freight rather than passengers.

When a post office was established, with David A. Huyck as postmaster, on June 4, 1866, the name of the village was changed to Clio, for the Greek goddess, muse of history and poetry, and daughter of Zeus. The name change came about largely through the efforts of Colonel Hill, who had opened a hotel in Varna known as the Revere House.

Clio was incorporated as a village in 1873 and became a city in 1928. With a population of 489 in 1880, Clio grew steadily to its peak population of 2,669 in 1980, after which it experienced a couple of decades of decline, then a slight increase in 2010.

The focus of this guide is on the City of Clio, Michigan. Appropriate resources may include websites representing the city itself, or any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, or events within the city.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Clio on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!