Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Comstock Park

Comstock Park, Michigan is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in both Alpine Township and Plainfield Township, with the bulk of its population in Alpine Township. Situated in the lower portion of the townships, it is adjacent to the cities of Walker and Grand Rapids, to the south.

Although situated along the west banks of the Grand River, its census-designated boundaries are set back from the river a block or two. Its eastern boundaries in the south are US-131, and at approximately the center, its eastern boundary follows West River Drive then, in the north, it follows Pine Island Drive. 6 Mile Drive forms most of the community's northern boundary, except in the east where Alpine Church Road forms its northern boundary. M-37 (Alpine Avenue NW) forms the upper part of its western boundary, while Cerdes Avenue NW forms the remainder of its boundaries on the west. Its southern boundary to the west is 4 Mile Road, but when that road leads northeast at about the center of the community, its southern boundary continues roughly in a straight line.

The chief routes through the village are US-131, which runs roughly north-south through eastern Comstock Park, and M-37 in the west. I-96 runs east-west just south of the village. Rockford is 9.6 miles to the northeast, Sparta is 9.8 miles north, and Coopersville is 17.1 miles west of Comstock Park.

Over the years, Comstock Park has experienced frequent spring floods from the Grand River.

The West Michigan Whitecaps, a Class A Minor League Baseball team affiliated with the Detroit Tigers, and playing in the Midwest League, plays its home games just outside of the Comstock Park census-designated area, between Comstock Park and the Grand River.

Comstock Park is also known for golfing, as there are three large golf courses just outside of its designated area: English Hills Golf Course, Alpine Golf Club, and Scott Lake Country Club. Two of the courses, as well as the Fifth Third Ballpark, which is home to the Minor League team, are generally considered to be in Comstock Park.

Mill Creek, Pine Creek, and Strawberry Creek wind their way through the village.

The settlement that became Comstock Park was built around a sawmill that Daniel North build on Mill Creek, in Plainfield Township, in 1838. Originally, it was known as North Park, although some early train schedules referred to it as North Mills Station. In the late 1840s, a rail station was built to serve both the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad and the Chicago & Western Michigan Railroad. Consequently, the settlement became a major transportation hub during the 1850s. A post office was established on December 28, 1848, known as Mill Creek, with John Colton as postmaster. The post office was closed on August 12, 1851, but reopened on October 28, 1868. The sawmill was purchased by Eli Plumb, who added a flour mill in 1866.

Charles C. Comstock represented the district in Congress from 1885 to 1886 and, on June 8, 1906, the village and post office were renamed for him.

The focus of this category is on the unincorporated community of Comstock Park, Michigan. Businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, events, sports teams and leagues, and recreational programs and facilities in Comstock Park are appropriate topics.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Property Sales & Rentals

Things to Do & Places to Go

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Comstock Park on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!