Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Croswell

The City of Croswell, Michigan is in southeastern Sanilac County, in the Thumb region of the Lower Peninsula.

The Black River flows in a southerly direction through the western portion of the city, and once divided the community into two separate villages. The river is an 81-mile river that begins in Sanilac County, near its border with Huron County, and empties into the St. Clair River in Port Huron. Originally, the settlement that later became Crosswell was known as Black River.

The first European-American settlers were engaged in fur trapping, although larger numbers came with the lumbering industry in the 1840s. The first settlement was known as Black River Settlement.

In 1845, Ephraim Pierce began the construction of a large sawmill. In 1857, Randall E. Davis became a partner in the operations and was instrumental in completing the mill by 1861. When a post office was established on September 12, 1857, the post office and community took the name Davisville. However, on May 9, 1877, Davisville was renamed for Michigan Governor Charles M. Croswell, who had been elected that year.

The successful lumber operations spurred growth in the new community, and the Port Huron and Northwestern Railroad extended a track from Port Huron to Croswell in 1879. Croswell was incorporated as a village in 1881. At around the same time, settlers on the west side of the Black River, who were separated from Croswell for the lack of a bridge, formed the village of Falcon, and a post office was established there on October 3, 1882, with Cephes W. Arnot as postmaster.

In 1881, forest fires destroyed the bulk of the remaining timber in Sanilac County and the Thumb region, ending the timber era, but opening the region up for agriculture.

By 1900, Croswell had a hotel, two banks, a brickyard, a livery stable, two lumber yards, two harness shops, four general stores, three hardware stores, a meat market, a bakery, two barbershops, and a tailor shop. In 1901, the Sanilac Sugar Refining Company built a sugar beet processing plant along the river. Soon after, two pickle plants and a vegetable cannery were added to Croswell's industries.

In 1905, Croswell merged with Falcon and became a city. That same year, a cable-and-plank pedestrian bridge was built across the river, united the two communities.

The main route through the city is M-90, also known as Peck Road, which forms a portion of the city's southern border. Other routes to or from the city include Black River Road, Croswell Road, Harrington Road, Old M-51, and Seltzer Road, which forms the city's northern boundary. The village of Applegate is 5.4 miles to the north, Lexington is 5.5 miles east, and Peck is 10.9 miles to the west, while the city of and Yale is 19.4 miles southwest, and Sandusky is 19.4 miles northwest of Croswell.

The focal point of this category is the City of Croswell, Michigan. Online resources relating to the city government, or any individuals, organizations, churches, schools, activities, or events are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Croswell on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!