Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » DeTour

DeTour Village is at the extreme eastern tip of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is about one mile across the DeTour Passage from Drummond Island.

DeTour Village is in eastern DeTour Township, on the western banks of the St. Mary's River, with Potagannissing Bay to the north and Lake Huron to the south. M-134 (Ontario Street) passes through the center of town, and M-48 terminates at its junction with M-134 west of the village. Other routes to or from the village include East North Caribou Lake Road and East South Caribou Lake Road. The Drummond Island Ferry connects DeTour Village with Drummond Island. On Drummond Island, the unincorporated community of Drummond is 11 miles east-northeast of DeTour Village, while Johnswood is 16.2 miles east-southeast. Goetzville is 12.5 miles west-northwest, and Raber is 15.1 miles northwest. The City of St. Ignace is 56.0 miles east-northeast of DeTour Village, while Sault Ste. Marie is 56.0 miles northwest.

Originally a Mascoutin, Ottawa, and Ojibwa village, DeTour Village was then known as Giwideonaning, which meant "point which we go around in a canoe." People traveling by canoe on Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, and Lake Huron would generally go through the DeTour Passage.

As the area was significant to the fur trade, the village eventually became dominated by the Metis, who were largely the children indigenous women and European fur traders who developed their own culture, language, and identity. Over time, the Canadian government has redefined the Metis as French-Canadian.

Under US control, the village became known as Warrenville, for Ebenezer Warren, an early French-Canadian settler who was named the first postmaster of the township. The area was organized as Warren Township in 1850. On July 25, 1856, the village's name was changed to Detour, after Henry A. Williams became the first village postmaster. Although its post office was closed a couple of times, it has been in operation since August 16, 1877.

The village was incorporated in 1899, and its name was changed to DeTour on July 1, 1953, and the post office name was changed to DeTour Village on May 1, 1961. The Ojibwa name and subsequent names, of French origins, all have the same meaning, as a place to go around because it was the turning point for the shipping channel that connected the St. Mary's River with Lake Huron and the Straits of Mackinac. The village is commonly seen spelled with two words, as in De Tour.

The DeTour Reef Light is at the southern entrance of the DeTour Passage between the eastern end of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Drummond Island. Built in 1847, the original lighthouse was situated onshore at Point DeTour, but it was moved offshore onto DeTour Reef in 1931. Originally operated by the United States Coast Guard, the light is currently automated and operated by the DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society, a non-profit organization, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. The light is only accessible by boat, and a fee is charged for tours.

At the time of the 2010 census, DeTour Village had a population of 325, although its peak population was 880 in 1900, the first year that it appears on a census report. Although it has enjoyed a few slight increases, its population has trended downward.

The focus of this category is on DeTour Village. As such, appropriate resources for this category may include websites representing the village government or any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, and events within the village. Resources within DeTour Township would be suitable for this category if they carry a DeTour Village postal address.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for DeTour on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!