Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » DeWitt

The City of DeWitt, Michigan is in the central Lower Peninsula, in lower Clinton County. Although surrounded by DeWitt Township, the city is administered autonomously.

The center of the City of Lansing is 8.4 miles to the south, East Lansing is 10.8 miles south-southeast, St. Johns is 13.0 miles north, Laingsburg is 13.4 miles northwest, Grand Ledge is 14.2 miles southwest, and the Village of Westphalia is 18.7 miles to the northwest.

I-69 runs largely east-west just south of the city limits, while US-27 is a north-south route situated just east of the DeWitt. The main routes running into or through the city include South DeWitt Road, West Herbison Road, West Howe Road, Schavey Road, South Turner Road, West Webb Road, and West Round Lake Road. Except for a portion of the city that extends further south, containing DeWitt Elementary School, DeWitt Middle School, and DeWitt Junior High School, West Herbison Road forms the southern boundaries of the city. DeWitt High School is just beyond the city's southernmost border.

The Looking Glass River enters the upper part of the city in the east, flowing west through DeWitt's downtown area, then turns south and west, forming the city's western boundary in the lower part of the city. Norris Road forms the remainder of its western border. Lake Geneva is a 300-acre body of water in southwestern DeWitt. To the west of Lake Geneva is the much smaller Springbrook Lake.

The larger portion of what is now the City of DeWitt, south of the Looking Glass River, was first owned by Frederick A. Boles, for whom it was platted and recorded by Dr. Bennett and J.M. Wilcox on January 2, 1837. However, the village became the property of the state for unpaid taxes in 1842 and passed out of existence.

The land north of the river was settled by Captain David Scott, who came from Ann Arbor with his family in 1833. As others settled nearby, a post office was established on March 2, 1837, with Ephraim H. Utley as the first postmaster. The post office was named for DeWitt Clinton, who had been governor of New York in the late 1820s. Captain Scott platted the village in 1841, and it was incorporated as a village in 1928, and a city in 1965.

The focus of this category is on the City of DeWitt, Michigan. Online resources representing the municipal government, as well as any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, and events within the city, are appropriate for this category.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Property Sales & Rentals

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for DeWitt on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!