Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Dimondale

The Village of Dimondale, Michigan is surrounded by Windsor Charter Township in eastern Eaton County. The village is a suburb of Lansing, which is northeast of Dimondale.

The Grand River, the longest in the state, enters the village in the southeast and flows northwest, then north, to exit the village in the north. Silver Creek enters the village in the west, and empties into the Grand River.

The main route through the village is Creyts Road, which connects with I-96 just north of the village. Other routes include Bridge Highway, Holt Highway, Smith Road, and Valley Trail. The center of Potterville is 5.3 miles southwest of Dimondale, while Lansing is 9.6 miles northeast, Eaton Rapids is 10.7 miles south, Grand Ledge is 12.3 miles north, and Mason is 13.8 miles southeast.

Before European-Americans began to settle the area in the late 1820s and early 1830s, the Potawatomi had a permanent village along the Grand River. Initially, relationships between the new settlers and the Potawatomi were cordial. Residents deeded ten acres of land near the river to the Potawatomi, who held the deed until the tribe was forced to move west by the Indian Removal Act of 1830.

In the 1840s, Isaac M. Dimond came to the area to build a dam and a sawmill on the Grand River, just east of Silver Creek. By 1852, the dam was completed and a sawmill was in operation. He added a gristmill in 1856 and arranged for the village to be platted by Hosey Harvey, naming it for himself. While most streets in Michigan run north-south and east-west, the streets in Dimondale run northeast-southwest and northwest-southeast, probably due to the location of the river.

In 1860, a post office was established in East Windsor, a rural village in the eastern part of the township. On July 3, 1872, this office was transferred to Dimondale, with Bradley Sloan as its first postmaster, and when the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad came through in 1878, a railroad station was established in Dimondale. Dimondale was incorporated as a village in 1906.

From 1929 to 1963, when it merged with the Holt School District, Dimondale had its own high school. Today, Dimondale students attend high school at Holt High School, while Holt Public Schools operates Dimondale Elementary School.

Since the village first appeared on a census in 1880, its population has ranged from a low of 300 in 1920 to a high of 1,342 in 2000.

The focus of this guide is on the Village of Dimondale, Michigan. As such, appropriate topics include online resources representing the village itself, or any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, or events within the village.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Dimondale on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!