Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Drummond

Drummond, Michigan is an unincorporated community on Potagannissing Bay, on the northwest side of Drummond Island, the fifth-largest island in the contiguous United States.

Drummond is one of two named communities on the island, which is nearly 250 square miles, the other being Johnswood, on the northeast shore of Scammon Cove, on the southern side of the island. Both are unincorporated communities, with Drummond being the larger. The only post office on the island, located in Drummond, is known as Drummond Island, Michigan.

Drummond Island Township consists of Drummond Island, as well as several other islands nearby, including Ashman Island, Bald Island, Big Trout Island, Boulanger Island, Burnt Island, Cass Island, Cedar Island, Espanore Island, Garden Island, Grape Island, Macomb Island, Maple Island, Meade Island, Wilson Island, and other smaller islands. On the east side of Drummond Island, the border between the United States and Canada passes through the False Detour Channel, while on the other side of the channel, the Canadian Cockburn Island separates Drummond Island from Manitoulin Island.

M-134 extends from the mainland Upper Peninsula, passing through the western part of the island, although there is no bridge; it is connected to the mainland by the Drummond Island Ferry, which runs between DeTour Village and Drummond Island. There are no other major roads on the island, although minor ones are connecting one place to another. South Townline Road connects Drummond with M-134. Situated just south of Drummond, the Drummond Island Airport is a public airport classified as a general aviation facility.

Drummond Island was the last British outpost on American soil after the Treaty of Ghent, as it was not occupied by the United States until November of 1828. The island and village were named for Sir Gordon Drummond, the British commander of the lake district. He built Fort Drummond on the west end of the island, which had not yet been named, after the conclusion of the War of 1812, apparently unaware that the island was in the United States, as it is the only island in the Manitoulin Island Chain that is part of the United States. It wasn't until 1822 that it was discovered that Drummond Island was ceded to the United States in the Treaty of Ghent. Even then, it wasn't until 1828 that the British troops left. US troops did not occupy the fort, which was listed as a Michigan State Historic Site in 1956, and on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. However, the fort is private property and viewable only from the water.

In 1822, Daniel Murray Seaman came to the island as a Mormon missionary to the Native American people who were there, and settled there in 1853, accompanied by other Mormons. On February 9, 1881, a post office was established, and named Drummond, with Seaman as the first postmaster. On July 1, 1953, the post office was renamed Drummond Island.

Drummond Island includes several inland lakes, and is sparsely populated and heavily wooded, with a year-round population of just over a thousand. The island is especially popular during the summer months, although whitetail deer, bear, and small game are hunted on the island. Fishing is another popular outdoor sport. Others come for its ATV trails, boating, birdwatching, or just to enjoy the beauty of the island. Island attractions include the Drummon Island Historical Museum, the DeTour Reef Light, and the several shipwrecks off the coast.

Although the focus of this category is on the unincorporated community of Drummond, online resources representing individuals, businesses, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, or events anywhere on Drummon Island may be listed here, as the Drummond post office is named Drummond Island, and there may not be enough resources in Johnswood, given its size, to warrant its own category.

Categories

Places to Stay

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Drummond on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!