Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Eastpointe

The Metro Detroit suburb of Eastpointe, Michigan is bordered by Detroit, Harper Woods, Roseville, St. Clair Shores, and Warren.

Situated in southern Macomb County, the chief routes through the city are M-3 (Gratiot Avenue) and East 9 Mile Road, which intersect in the center-west part of the city. I-96 runs largely north-south, forming most of the city's eastern boundary, while M-102 (East 8 Mile Road) forms its southern boundary, and East 10 Mile Road forms its northern boundary. Other routes include Kelly Road, Stephens Road, East 9 Mile Road, Toepfer Road, and Vernier Road.

Besides the ones bordering on Eastpointe, other nearby cities include Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Shores, Center Line, Fraser, Grosse Pointe Farms, and Grosse Pointe Park.

Settled by Irish and German immigrants in the 1830s, the area was made part of the now-defunct Orange Township when that township was organized in 1837. In 1843, Orange Township was renamed Erin Township, which is also defunct, as its area is now the cities of Fraser, Roseville, and Eastpointe.

On October 13, 1897, a post office was established under the name of Halfway, because it was equidistant between downtown Detroit and Mount Clemens, a name that had previously been applied to the community because the Halfway Inn, located there, had been a regular stopping place for stagecoaches along the route. The post office was housed in a store operated by Herman Hummrich, who became the first postmaster.

In 1924, Halfway was incorporated as a village. On December 11, 1926, while Otto C. Miller was postmaster, the name of the post office was changed to East Detroit, although Halfway was incorporated as a city in 1928. On January 7, 1929, the city changed its name to East Detroit after a vote indicated that was the preference of its citizens.

East Detroit grew rapidly during the 1940s and the 1950s, increasing from a population of under 6,000 in 1930 to its peak population of 45,920, after minimal growth in the 1960s. Since then, its population has declined each census year.

Over the years, the association with the neighboring city of Detroit was perceived by many in East Detroit as detrimental. In response to a 1992 referendum, the city changed its name to Eastpointe on July 1, 1992. The change was probably intended to promote an association with the more affluent Grosse Pointe communities to the east.

Although the city has a robust business community, particularly along East 9 Mile Road, and Gratiot Avenue, Eastpointe is generally thought of as a bedroom community for people who work in Detroit or other nearby cities. The city operates several parks, and hosts summer festivals, shows, live music, and other events throughout the year.

Most of Eastpointe's public school students attend schools operated by Eastpointe Community Schools, while Koepsell Elementary School, of South Lake Public Schools, is in southeastern Eastpointe. Chartered by Central Michigan University, Eaton Academy, a PK-8th-grade charter school, is housed in the former St. Veronica School building.

Topics related to the City of Eastpointe, Michigan are the focus of this category. Online resources representing the municipality, as well as any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, events, sports programs, and recreational opportunities within the city are appropriate for this category.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Places to Eat

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Eastpointe on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!