Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Eastport

Eastport, Michigan is an unincorporated community in the northeastern Lower Peninsula of Michigan.

Recently listed as a census-designated place, Eastport has defined boundaries, unlike other unincorporated communities. It is bordered to the east by Grand Traverse Bay, and to the south by Torch Lake, although a portion of its southern boundary, in the east, is made up of a portion of the Ojibway Trail, US Highway 31 N, and Emmetts Trail. Old Dixie Highway forms its northern boundary, and its eastern boundary is Farnell Road. A large portion of the community, in the northeast, is made up of Antrim County's Barnes Park. Eastport Creek enters the community in the north and empties into Torch Lake at its northernmost tip.

The 129-acre Barnes Park offers large wooded campsites, some with electricity, while others are rustic. The park also includes hiking trails, biking trails, a playground area, basketball court, and a staircase leading down to the beach.

Formed by the Leelanau Peninsula, Grand Traverse Bay is divided into two arms by the Old Mission Peninsula. It leads into Lake Michigan.

Eastport is situated on the north end of Torch Lake, an 18,770-acre body of water that is nineteen miles long. It is the longest inland lake in Michigan and the state's second-largest inland lake. Other communities located on Torch Lake are Alden, Clam River, and Torch Lake. The lake is popular for hiking, canoeing, fishing, and diving.

There are no incorporated villages or cities in Torch Lake Township, and the only other unincorporated community is Torch Lake, about two miles to the south. The nearest villages are Central Lake, Ellsworth, Forest Home, and Elk Rapids. The main routes to and from the community are US-31 and M-88, which intersect at the southeast corner of Barnes Park. While US-31 leads south from the community along the western shore of Torch Lake, Torch Lake Drive runs south and east along the eastern banks of Torch Lake.

As Eastport is a recent census-designated place, it has, thus far, appeared only on the 2010 census, at which time its population was 218.

The first European-American settler in the area was Murdock Andress, a woodsman who came in 1863. In 1869, a man named Phillips built a hotel there. On March 29, 1872, a post office was established under the name of Wilson, but its name was changed to Eastport on September 8, 1873, with Andrew Mudge as postmaster. The name Eastport was chosen because of a mill and dock that Cicero Newell and L.G. Wilcox built directly east, across Grand Traverse Bay, of Northport. The bay shore project was soon abandoned, and the town developed at the north shore of Torch Lake, but Eastport retained the name.

Although Eastport has a small year-round population, its proximity to Torch Lake, Grand Traverse Bay, and Lake Michigan makes it a popular summer place. The focus of this category is on the unincorporated town of Eastport, Michigan. Online resources representing individuals, businesses, churches, organizations, attractions, events, or recreational opportunities in Eastport are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Eastport on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!