Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Elkton

The Village of Elkton, Michigan is in Oliver Township, in central-western Huron County, within the Thumb Region of the eastern Lower Peninsula. The Pinnebog River flows through the northeastern corner of the village.

The chief routes through the village are M-142 (Pigeon Road) and Elkton Road, which intersect in the center of the village. Eby Road forms its southern boundary, while Ewald Road forms its eastern boundary in the northern part of the village. The nearest city is Bad Axe, the center of which is 10.5 miles to the east. Nearby villages include Pigeon (5.6 miles), Owendale (10.5 miles), Caseville (13.1 miles), Gagetown (14.1 miles), Cass City (15.2 miles), Kinde (17.5 miles), and Sebewaing (18.3 miles).

Like many other towns, the origins of Elkton are in the railroad and the lumber industry. The Saginaw, Tuscola & Huron Railroad built a board and batten depot there in 1884. Although the original depot still exists, it was moved to a site downtown in 1999.

Originally known as Oliver Center, for its position near the center of Oliver Township, the village was renamed in 1886 when it was platted by W.J. McGillivray, a blacksmith who built the first house in the community. He chose the name to commemorate his killing of a huge elk that had become entangled in his wife's clothesline.

A post office was established on November 24, 1886, with Simon Hoffman as the first postmaster, and Elkton was incorporated as a village in 1897.

As the focal point of this guide is on Elkton, Michigan, online resources representing the village itself or any individuals, businesses, schools, churches, attractions, or events within the village.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Elkton on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!