Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Elwell

Elwell, Michigan is a small agricultural community in southeastern Seville Township, northwestern Gratiot County, in the Central Lower Peninsula.

As Elwell is unincorporated, there are no defined boundaries, but it is concentrated along Pingree Road, south of Jackson Road and north of Lincoln Road, but closer to Lincoln Road. Cities and villages within twenty miles of the community include Alma (5.0 miles), St. Louis (8.5 miles), Shepherd (12.9 miles), Ithaca (13.9 miles), Mt. Pleasant (15.9 miles), Edmore (16.6 miles), and McBride (17.7 miles). Other unincorporated towns near Elwell include Riverdale, Elm Hall, Forest Hill, Sumner, Vestaburg, Coe, and Winn.

The community was founded around 1877, and a post office was established there on April 15, 1880, with George O. Adams as its first postmaster. In 1911, the village was platted and recorded by the Seville Township board, and named for Colonel John A. Elwell, of St. Louis, Michigan, who was instrumental in persuading the Detroit, Lansing & Northern Railroad, which later became the Pere Marquette, to come through the community in 1877.

As Elwell is the focus of this guide, online resources representing any individuals, businesses, churches, organizations, attractions, or events within the village are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Elwell on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!