Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Fairgrove

Fairgrove, Michigan is a village in Fairgrove Township, Tuscola County, in the Thumb Region of the Lower Peninsula.

The chief routes through the village are M-138 (Main Street) and Fairgrove Road, which intersect just south of the center of the village. The center of Akron is 4.3 miles from Fairgrove. Other nearby cities and villages included Caro (9.8 miles), Reese (12.7 miles), Vassar (12.7 miles), and Unionville (12.8 miles).

The first recorded European-American settler in the area that was to become Fairgrove was Amasa Clay, who came in 1852. He purchased his land from Patrick McGlone, who resided in Juniata Township. At that time, there were no roads in the township. The land was flat, and considered ideal for farming, although it had a large mosquito population. There were stands of basswood, beech, elm, and maple. Accompanying Amasa Clay were his father, Henry Clay, as well as David Gorter, Erastus A. Marr, Joseph McGlone, Patrick McGlone, Jacob Winchell, and a Mr. Blank. Others came the following spring.

Initially known as Fair Grove Center, for its location near the center of the township, a post office was established on June 29, 1857. When the Pere Marquette Railroad came through in 1881, the post office was moved a short distance to be nearer the railroad station, and was renamed Fairgrove on January 10, 1894. In 1901, Fairgrove was incorporated as a village.

The focus of this guide is on the village of Fairgrove, Michigan. Online resources representing the village itself, or any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, churches, or organizations within the village, are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Fairgrove on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!