Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Fenton

Fenton, Michigan is roughly fifteen miles south of Flint. Mostly in southern Genesee County, portions of the city extend into Oakland and Livingston counties.

Fenton is adjacent to Silver Lake to the west, Lake Ponemah to the northwest, and Lake Fenton to the north, Seven Lakes is within Seven Lakes State Park, just east of the city limits, and Mill Pond is in the southeastern corner of the city, along the Shiawassee River, which flows in a northwesterly direction through the center of the city.

The chief route through the city is US 23. The highway runs north-south through the western portion of the city, passing between Lake Fenton to the east and both Loon Lake and Lake Ponemah to the west, joining Torrey Road to form a small portion of the city's western boundary. Other routes include Business 23, Denton Hill Road, North Fenton Road, Grange Hall Road, Owen Road, South Holly Road, and Torrey Road. The center of Linden is 4.4 miles west-northwest, and Holly is 5.3 miles east. Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Lansing are only about an hour away.

Except for a slight decrease in 1880, 1910, and 1980, the history of Fenton has largely been one of growth, end it has experienced rapid growth since about 1950. Its population in 1860 was 735, and its population in 2010 was 11,756.

Acknowledged as the first European-American settlers in the area that was to become Fenton, Clark Dibble and the Dustin Cheney family came in 1834. Dibble had come across the area on his way from Shiawassee to Grumlaw (Grand Blanc). He liked the area so much that he spent some time there, and later persuaded several other families to settle in the area. By 1836, the new settlement, consisting of a few houses and a sawmill, had become known as Dibbleville.

Several Native American trails came together at the new townsite and, as these trails turned into roads, it became an area that was visited by many people passing through. Some of them stayed to make their homes there. Dibbleville was platted in 1836. The initial townsite included the area from South Street to Robert Street, and from East Street to West Street.

By the summer of 1837, William M. Fenton, a lawyer and lands speculator, and another land speculator by the name of Robert LeRoy, had acquired much of the land in the region. They decided to plat a somewhat larger village, which they named Fentonville. According to tradition, the name was chosen as a result of a poker game, in which Fenton won. As a cancellation, the main route through the city was named LeRoy Street. The two continued to name other streets, choosing them according to the results of the game. In 1837, Mr. LeRoy built the first hotel and, on June 26, 1837, became the first postmaster of Fentonville. Mr. Fenton later became lieutenant governor of Michigan.

In 1856, the Detroit, Grand Haven and Milwaukee Railway became the first railroad in the county when it extended its line through the village. The original Fenton railroad depot was a wood structure and the north side of the tracks. It burned sometime around 1880 and was replaced by a new brick depot on the south side of the tracks. The new depot was used until 1923 when it was also damaged by fire. Its roof was rebuilt, the new depot served until 1974 when it was purchased by the City of Fenton and used for various offices. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the structure now serves as offices for Southern Lakes Parks and Recreation.

In the early days of the railroad in Fenton, the village became a significant commercial and transportation center. Wagons came from Flint, Saginaw, and the north, since Fenton was the farthest a railroad had reached at that point. To facilitate shipping, a plat road was built between Flint and Fenton.

Fenton was incorporated as a village in 1863 and became a city in 1964. Today, Fenton's downtown district serves as a historical area as well as a venue for shopping and other businesses. In the center of town, the Shiawassee River flows over a dam through Millpond Park. Overlooking the park is the City Hall.

The focus of this category is on the city of Fenton, Michigan. Appropriate topics include online resources for the city itself, as well as any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events within the city.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Services & Industries

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Fenton on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!