Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Ferrysburg

Ferrysburg, Michigan is situated in the northwest corner of Ottawa County, on the shores of Lake Michigan. It borders the city of Grand Haven, which is separated from Ferrysburg by the Grand River, and by Spring Lake to the southeast. It is bounded by Spring Lake Township in the north and east.

US-31 connects Ferrysburg with Grand Haven, and serves as the main route through the city, while the southern terminus of M-104 is in Ferrysburg. Besides Grand Haven and Spring Lake, other cities and villages within 20 miles include Fruitport, Norton Shores, Muskegon Heights, Muskegon, North Muskegon, and Coopersville. Grand Rapids and the Grand Rapids metropolitan region are about 25 to 30 miles to the southeast.

Settlement of the area began in the late 1840s when Colonel William Montague Ferry, Jr. built a sawmill to process local timber. Initially, the settlement that grew up around the sawmill became known as Ottawa Point in 1850, and as Ferry Point in 1855. In 1854, Colonel fairy planted a garden with flowers, shrubs, and fruit trees. It was called Ferry Gardens. Colonel fairy completed the construction of his home in 1855, and he began construction of a new machine shop and foundry that was named Ottawa Ironworks, producing steam engines and machines for the lumber industry.

In January of 1857, Colonel Ferry and his brother, Thomas White Ferry, platted the village of Ferrysburg, naming it for their father, the Reverend William M. Ferry, who had founded Grand Haven in 1834. Initially, there are four streets running east and west (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th), and four running north and south (Pine, Oak, Elm, and Maple). On August 20, 1859, a post office was established in Ferrysburg, with Uzell B. Eames as postmaster. The post office was closed on May 6, 1863, but it was reopened on December 17, 1866. The post office was renamed Ferrisburg on August 17, 1894, but it was changed back to Ferrysburg on September 27 of that same year.

In 1869, the Chicago & West Michigan Railroad established a station in Ferrysburg along its line from Grand Haven to Muskegon, The railroad served the sawmills and shops that had grown up in Ferrysburg, and also provided passenger service to several northern communities.

Over the years, several industries sprung up in Ferrysburg, and its population mostly increased, although Ferrysburg was not a part of the census between 1890 and 1950. Ferrysburg became a city in 1963.

The Focus of this category is on the city of Ferrysburg, Michigan. Appropriate topics include online resources for the city itself, or any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, or events within the city.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Ferrysburg on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!