Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Flushing

The city of Flushing, Michigan sets along the Flint River, which flows in a northerly direction along the southern and western parts of the city.

Located to the west of Flint, Flushing is considered to be an outer suburb of Flint. The center of Flint is 13.3 miles from the center of Flushing. Other nearby cities and villages include Swarts Creek, Lennon, Montrose, New Lothrop, Mt. Morris, Clio, and Burton.

The first recorded settlement by European-Americans was by Charles Seymour Sr., who came to the area from New York state in 1835. The following year, he formed a partnership with Horace Jerome, who had purchased water rights in the vicinity. Through their partnership, Seymour provided pine timber, while Jerome built a sawmill to process it, water power from the river. The sawmill was operational by the summer of 1837; however, Jerome left Flushing after his wildcat bank, the Flint rapids Bank, failed in 1838.

Besides water power available from the River, the Flint River Valley around Flushing was well suited for agriculture. This brought additional people to the area. A post office was established on May 9, 1839, with Ezekiel Ewing as the first postmaster. Originally, the post office was going to be named Dover, but it was discovered that this name was already in use by a town in Lenawee County. Instead, it was named for Flushing, New York, Seymour's previous residence. Flushing Charter Township also took that name.

Seymour made the first plat of the village in 1840. In 1843, Charles sold his land to his brother, James Seymour, and James made the second plat of the village in 1847. In 1877, Flushing was incorporated as a village, and named after the post office and township.

In 1888, the Toledo and Ann Arbor Railroad connected Flushing to Durand and Saginaw, the first passenger train arriving from Saginaw and December 17 of that year. That line is currently owned by Huron and Eastern Railway, while they restored 1888 depot now serves as the Flushing Area Museum and Cultural Center.

The current bridge over the Flint River on the main street was completed in May of 1922. The first bridge on that site was a wooden bridge built in 1839 and replaced with a second wood bridge in 1856, and a third wood bridge in 1872. A double-span iron bridge was built in 1880, and removed in 1921.

Flushing was incorporated as a city in 1964. Although Flushing has experienced minor population declines in 1990 and 2000, it has been spared the devastating population declines of nearby Flint. Its peak population was 8,624 in 1980, and its current population is just under 8,000.

The focus of this category is on the city of Flushing, Michigan. Appropriate topics include online resources for the city itself, as well as any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events within the city.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Flushing on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!