Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Fostoria

Fostoria, Michigan is an unincorporated community in southeastern Watertown Township, Tuscola County.

Although Fostoria is unincorporated, it is a census-designated place and, as such, it has defined borders, at least for the purpose of the census. West Barnes Road forms the northern boundary of the CDP, its southern boundary is West Castle Road, its eastern boundary is Willis Road, and Edward Road forms much of its western boundary. Fostoria Road and Goodrich Road intersect in the center of the CDP.

Nearby cities and villages include Otter Lake, Mayville, Millington, Columbiaville, North Branch, Otisville, and Clifford.

As an unincorporated community, however, there isn't much in the way of historical information available for Fostoria. Like many Michigan towns, its founding had much to do with the forest industry and the railroads. Henry H. Crapo, who would later become the 14th governor of Michigan, owned much of the land in the area, most of which was covered in pine. Bartering on his connections with the railroad, Crapo arranged to have the Pere Marquette railway run a branch of the railroad to the area that was to become Fostoria, which was the headquarters of his lumber operations. Fostoria became the end of the branch line, which ran from northern Flint, through Otter Lake, and on to Fostoria. The community that grew up around Crapo's lumber operations and the railroad was named for his foreman, Thomas Foster. Fostoria had a post office from July 24, 1882, to May 11, 1883.

The focus of this guide is on the camera known as Fostoria, Michigan. Websites representing individuals, businesses, churches, organizations, attractions, or events in Fostoria are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Fostoria on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!