Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Fruitport

The Village of Fruitport, Michigan is made up of one-square-mile of land in southern Muskegon County and has a population of just over a thousand.

In the western Lower Peninsula, the village is surrounded by Fruitport Charter Township to the north, by Spring Lake Township to the south, and by Crockery Township to the southeast. It is on the border of Muskegon County and Ottawa County.

The northeastern portion of Spring Lake is in the southwest Fruitport and Norris Creek and Willow Hill Creek flow through the eastern part of the village.

I-86 runs northwest-southeast, touching the northeastern corner of the village. The chief routes to and from the village include Airline Road, Apple Drive, Fruitport Road, North Fruitport Road, West Fruitport Road, and Pontaluna Road. Nearby cities and villages include Spring Lake, Ferrysburg, Grand Haven, Muskegon Heights, Norton Shores, Muskegon, Coopersville, North Muskegon, and Ravenna.

Fruitport is known for Pomona Park, an 8.5-acre community waterfront park on Spring Lake, in the heart of the village. The village has recently announced its acquisition of nearly three acres of adjoining waterfront property, which will be added to Pomona Park.

In the 1870s, people would take a steamer from Chicago to Grand Haven, and then travel on to Fruitport. It once hosted the Pomona House, a large hotel built by the Fruitport Magnetic and Sulphur Springs Company. After it burned, for the second time, in 1881, it wasn't rebuilt. However, the Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Electric Interurban Company built the Pomona Pavilion in 1901. Built over the water, boaters could tie up and ascend stairs to the dance floor. Over the years, the Pomona Pavilion hosted several famous bands, including Vaughn Monroe, the Glenn Miller Band, Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Dorsey, and Lawrence Wel, and Buddy Holly played at the Pavilion just months before his death in a plane crash. Unfortunately, the Pavilion burned in 1963, and it was never rebuilt.

Today, Pomona Park offers a boat launch and is used for fishing, picnicking, and kayaking. It also has a bandshell, a playground, a multi-use path, and space for occasional carnivals or festivals.

The first recorded European-American settler in the area of the village was Jacob Chapman, who later became the village's first postmaster. Edward L. Craw platted the village in 1868 and named it Crawville. However, the following year, in 1869, the Pere Marquette Railroad opened a station on a branch of its line there, naming it Fruitport Junction, as the township is a fruit-growing area, and the village took that name. A post office was established on April 8, 1869, as Fruitport, with Jacob Chapman as postmaster.

Fruitport was incorporated as a village in 1891. Since 1971, there have been four votes to dissolve the village but, while the majority voted to do so in 2005, the results were two votes short of the two-thirds majority required.

Public school students in Fruitport are served by the Fruitport Community Schools District, which also serves Fruitport Charter Township. The village receives its water and sewer services from the township.

The focus of this guide is on the village of Fruitport, Michigan. Appropriate topics include the village itself, as well as local businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, and events.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Fruitport on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!