Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Gagetown

Gagetown, Michigan is in northeast Tuscola County, in the Thumb Region of the Lower Peninsula.

The village is in the northeastern corner of Elmwood Township. The chief routes through Gagetown are Bay City-Forestville Road (State Street), Reagh Road (Gage Street), and Walsh Road (Lincoln Street), which intersect in the center of the city. Lapak Road forms its western boundary, while Dodge Road forms its eastern boundary. Nearby cities and villages include Owendale, Cass City, Unionville, Pigeon, Elkton, Caro, Sebewaing, Akron, and Ubly.

The population of Gagetown is less than four hundred; in fact, its peak population was 440 in 1920. There is very little in the way of business or industry in Gagetown, and it's about thirty miles from Bay City, forty-five miles from Saginaw, and sixty-five miles from Flint, so commutes to a city of appreciable size can be long, given that the population of Bay City is under thirty-five thousand.

Gagetown grew around a mill and store opened by Joseph Gage in 1869. A post office was established on May 24, 1870, with James Gage as the first postmaster. In 1871, Joseph Gage platted a village near the center of his land, to which William Cleaver platted an addition. That year, Mr. Gage opened a hotel and, sometime later, a grist mill, which burned in 1876. Another grist mill was built by the Randall Brothers a couple of years later.

In anticipation of a railroad, the town began growing by the early 1980s. In January of 1882, the population was about two hundred, and the community included a church, a schoolhouse, a grist mill, a sawmill, a sash, door, and blind factory, two blacksmith shops, a wagon shop, a shingle mill, a planing mill, a livery stable, a shoe shop, a drug store, a doctor's office, a hotel, four general stores, a hardware store, a tin shop, and a post office.

In 1882, the Pontiac, Oxford & Caseville Railroad extended its line to Gagetown. The village was incorporated in 1887.

Growth in Gagetown was limited, however. While it never grew to be a large village, neither did it shrink very far. Its peak population was 440 in 1920, and its population at the time of the 2010 census was 388.

As the focus of this category is on the village of Gagetown, Michigan, appropriate topics include online resources representing the village government or any individuals, businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events within the village.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Gagetown on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!