Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Glenn

Glenn is an unincorporated community in southwest Ganges Township, in lower western Allegan County, near Lake Michigan.

Glenn is roughly equidistant, about forty-five miles, from Grand Rapids to the northeast, and Kalamazoo to the southeast.

As an unincorporated village, Glenn does not have defined borders, but it is concentrated at the intersection of 114th Avenue and Adams Road and Blue Star Highway, and might be considered to include the populated areas west to Lake Michigan, and east to I-196/US-31.

Nearby incorporated cities and villages include Douglas, Saugatuck, South Haven, and Fennville. There are several unincorporated communities within ten miles of Glenn. These include Glenn Stores (Glenn Shores), Glenn Haven Shores, Shorecrest, Cedar Bluff, Ganges, Casco, Miami Park, Spring Grove, Mount Pleasant, Grange Corners, South Haven Highlands, Pier Cove, Hawkhead, Leisure, Clyde, Pearl, and Bravo.

Glenn is a small community. Although census data is not available for the village itself because it is not a census-designated place, there are only about 2,500 people in the entire township, which includes six other unincorporated communities.

The village of Glenn was first settled in 1843, and was known as New Casco and Packard's Corner until 1876. When a post office was established in Casco Township on December 8, 1856, it was known as New Casco, and Lawrence Heydt was the first postmaster. Later, while William O. Packard was postmaster, the office was moved a short distance to Ganges Township and became known as Packard's Corners. On May 15, 1876, the name of the post office was changed to Glenn.

Originally, the land was covered in forests, so the first industries were related to lumber. As the land was cleared, farms were established and fruit trees planted. Piers were built out onto Lake Michigan to ship fruit to market, and some of the same ships that carried the fruit away would bring passengers to vacation along the coast.

By 1897, Glenn supported three grocery stores, a meat market, a drug store, two blacksmith shops, a barbershop, two hotels, and some other businesses.

By the 1920s, trucks had replaced ships as the most common means of shipping produce to market, and the piers were abandoned.

In 1937, a fierce blizzard stranded several travelers in Glenn, prompting the townspeople to take in more than two hundred motorists. With diminishing food supplies, the stores and townspeople nevertheless had the flour required to make pancakes, so pancakes were served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thus, Glenn earned its nickname as The Pancake Town. A pancake festival was arranged to celebrate this event in the village's history the following year, and it continued until 1941 when World War II got in the way. The festival was restored in the 1960s and continues today.

The focus of this category is on the unincorporated village of Glenn, Michigan. Appropriate topics include online resources representing organizations in Glenn, as well as local businesses, industries, schools, attractions, and events.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Glenn on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!