Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Muir

Muir, Michigan is situated along the Maple River, with flows through the southern portion of the village. The larger Grand River is just outside the village limits in the southwest.

The chief route through the village is M-21 (Bluewater Highway), which runs east-west, just south of its northern border. Tabor Street connects Muir with Lyons, which borders the village in the south. Other cities and villages within twenty miles of Muir are Pewamo, Ionia, Fowler, Hubbardston, Westphalia, Portland, Saranac, Carson City, St. Johns, Sunfield, Maple Rapids, Eagle, and Belding.

With a current population just above six hundred, Muir's peak population was 714 in 1880, the first year that it appeared on a census roll, and its lowest population point was 363 in 1920.

The settlement that became Muir was built around a lumber mill operated by Soule, Robinson & Company, owned by Ambrose L. Soule, Andrew Byron Robinson, and the Rev. Isaac Evertt. The village was built on the farmland of W.Z. Blanchard and J.C. Blanchard, who had built a farmhouse and a barn, although a tenant farmed the land.

In 1856, knowing that the Detroit, Muskegon & Western (Grand Trunk Western) Railroad intended to extend its track through the area, Soule, Robinson, and Evertt purchased the Blanchard farm as an investment, hoping to secure a railroad station. Lyons, to the south, was also competing for the railroad, but the company accepted Soule's proposition as the Lyons group was having trouble coming up with the promised financial aid to help finance the line.

Soule, Robinson & Company erected a steam sawmill, and platted the village that was intended to be named Montrose. In June of 1856, George W. French opened a hotel that was operated by Smith and Barnard. At around the same time, French and Chamberlain opened a store, and two small grocery stores were opened by Marvin Greenwood and William Smith, while Vincent Palmer opened a blacksmith shop.

Darwin Lyin was appointed station agent for the railroad, and its station was located in the old Blanchard barn for a time. A post office was opened on September 12, 1857. Known as Montrose Station, Andrew Robinson was the first postmaster. However, on February 15, 1859, the name of the post office and village was changed to Muir, in honor of H.K. Muir, who was superintendent of the railroad. The existence of another Michigan post office named Montrose spurred the name change.

Soon, there were several sawmills in the Muir. The second sawmill was built by Armstrong, Fox, and Dibble, although it was soon transferred to Aaron Abby and Son. Other area sawmills and lumber operations included the Wagar Lumber Company, Marvin and Smith, J. Begole and Company, Abby, French and Company, W.P. Hewitt's shingle mill, and James Smith's sash and blind factory.

In 1871, Muir was incorporated as a village, with Mr. Robinson as its first president.

The focal point of this portion of our guide is on the village of Muir, Michigan. Topics related to the village itself, as well as local businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, events, sports programs, and recreational opportunities.



Recommended Resources

Search for Muir on Google or Bing