Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Spalding

The unincorporated community of Spalding is adjacent to the village of Powers, to the southwest, and is sometimes referred to as part of the joint community of Powers-Spalding.

Along US-2/41, the Powers village limits begin just west of Spring Street, while the Spalding community includes the developed area east of Powers, to about Balsam Lane. The commercial and residential area along US-2/41, and south along Spring Street, Maple Street, and Earl and Rosemary's Lane, as well as Greenwood Avenue, is part of Spalding, as are the residential developments along Old Highway 2/41, north of US-2/41, and a residential development north of Old Highway, connecting to Maple Street and Pine Avenue.

The Big Cedar River flows through the community.

Situated in the southern portion of Spalding Township, Powers and Spalding are the only named communities in the township. Spalding is in Menominee County, in the southeastern portion of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Cities and villages within twenty-five miles of Spalding include Powers, Carney, Escanaba, Norway, Daggett, and Stephenson, while the unincorporated communities of Hermansville, Nadeau, and Harris are within ten miles.

Largely residential today, the community does some business from passersby along US-2 and US-41, which run concurrently through Spalding after coming together a short distance away in Powers.

Spalding was founded as a railroad town when the Chicago & North Western Railroad came through on its line between Powers and Escanaba. The community was settled, and much of the work was done to prepare for the railroad in 1871, and a station was opened there in 1872,

The community and township were named for Jesse Spalding, president of the Spalding Lumber Company, who had purchased a large amount of land within the township. The lumber company built a lumbering mill in Spalding in 1873, employing between two hundred and four hundred men. There were also eight camps along the Cedar River, each employing from fifty to seventy-five men.

A post office was established on January 26, 1874, with Wilmot Armstrong as postmaster. Originally, the office was named Menominee Junction, but it was soon changed to Spalding.

In the early days, the community and the railroad supported the harvesting and processing of forest products. A spur was also built for the Soo Line Railroad.

The first school in Spalding was constructed in 1874, and a larger school building was built in 1882. This building served until 1903 when a new school was built, replaced by the current school building in the late 1940s.

A Catholic Church was built in 1881 and replaced by the current building in 1902.

In May of 1889, a fire came through the south side of the community, destroying most of the buildings.

Spalding has never been incorporated.

This portion of our web guide is focused on the community known as Spalding, Michigan. Topics related to businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, events, entertainment venues, and recreational opportunities within the community are appropriate for this category.



Recommended Resources

Search for Spalding on Google or Bing