Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Twining

Twining, Michigan straddles Mason Township to the west, and Turner Township to the east, with approximately half of the village in each.

The small village is in northeastern Arenac County, southwest of Turner. M-65 (State Street) and Twining Road (Main Street) intersect in the center of the village, and these are the only significant routes leading to or from Twining.

Cities and villages within twenty-five miles of Twining include Turner, Omer, Whittemore, Au Gres, Prescott, Standish, Sterling, Pinconning, Tawas City, and East Tawas.

Twining's peak population was 267 in 1910, the first year that it appeared on a US census roll. Other than 1950, 1960, and 2000, its population has declined every decade since, and it has a population of 230 in 2020.

With little or no commercial or industrial activity, Twining is a small residential area concentrated around the intersection of Main Street and State Street, and a few small streets in the town center.

Twining was founded as a lumber town, like many other Michigan communities. The village's history is closely connected with that of the nearby village of Turner. Joseph Turner came to the area in 1870, creating the Turner, Miller & Lewis Lumber Company, which was responsible for the founding of Turner. When Turner built a railroad to transport lumber to processing locations, one of the railroad branches passed about a mile north of the current location of Twining. A lumber camp was started there, and this was the foundation for the village of Twining.

The first store in the Dalton Township section of the village was opened by a man named Mr. Odell, who sold his store to Frederick L. Twining, a lumberman. When the Detroit & Mackinac Railway came to the area and established a depot in 1894, it was named for Mr. Twining. A post office was opened on July 28, 1897, with Mr. Twining as the first postmaster.

Early industries include a combined saw and shingle mill opened by John McCready in 1896. He discontinued his shingle operations in 1898, and began operating a planing mill instead.

A schoolhouse was built by Chauncy D. Brooks in the late 1890s.

The railroad brought more people to town, which grew to a population of about 500 prior to its incorporation. Most of the town's population was employed by Mr. McCready's mills or Mr. Twining's lumber operations. While his lumber operations and store remained active, Mr. Twining also opened a grain elevator and a feed mill, and was involved in agriculture. Later, he opened a creamery.

Twining was incorporated as a village in 1903.

Lumber operations in the area of Twining remained active into the 1920s, although it declined considerably for several years before ceasing altogether.

Today, Twining is a small, largely residential community whose few businesses serve the surrounding agricultural interests, including farm equipment suppliers, a grain elevator, and a greenhouse. The railroad still runs through the community, but there are fewer trains now and they don't stop in Twining. The depot building was sold in 1953. The elementary school in Twining closed in 2018.

This portion of our web guide is focused on the small village of Twining, Michigan. Online resources for any government entities within the village, as well as local businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, events, and recreational opportunities, are appropriate for this category.



Recommended Resources

Search for Twining on Google or Bing