Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Rushford / Rushford Village

Rushford, Minnesota is a city in northeastern Fillmore County, and it is surrounded by Rushford Village, which may also be listed in this category.

The first white settlers came to the region through the Root River, which flows across the southern portion of the city. Named for a ford across Rush Creek, which was itself named for the tall rushes growing from its banks, the area of Rushford was once known as Trail City, because of the numerous Indian trails that came together at the creek.

The Rushford Post Office was established in 1856, and the two-story railroad depot, built in 1867, now serves as a visitor's center.

Minnesota State Highways 16, 27, 30, and 43 are the main routes through the city, with Highway 43 passing through the center of Rushford, where it is named South Mills Street. The city of Rushford Village is about four miles east of the Rushford, while Peterson is about the same distance east-southeast, Hart is five miles north, Bratsberg is six miles south, and Money Creek is eight miles east.

Rushford is one of several cities intersected by the Root River portion of the Blufflands State Trail, a project of Rails to Trails, which links small towns along former railroad grades.

Rushford hosts a Homecoming celebration every five years in which former residents of the city are invited to return for a visit, as well as an annual celebration now called Rushford Days, which had previously been known as Frontier Days.

Rushford Village was first established as a township in 1858, and it included the settlement that later became Rushford City. Situated about four miles to the east, Rushford Village, like Rushford City, was named for Rush Creek. When the City of Rushford incorporated as a city, it became a separate entity from the township.

In 1885, Rushford Township incorporated as a village. In 1909, Peterson, which was completely surrounded by Rushford Village, also incorporated as a village. In 1973, a state law automatically elevated villages to cities, so Rushford Village became a city in May of 1975.

The boundaries of Rushford Village completely envelop the independent cities of Peterson and Rushford, although its chief population area is about two miles west of Rushford and a slightly shorter distance north of Peterson, although no road directly connects the two communities. Minnesota State Highway 30 is the main route through the townsite of Rushford Village.

Although Rushford Village has a land area of more than thirty square miles, it is mostly rural, with a population of fewer than a thousand people, although it's been growing since 1960.

Although Rushford and Rushford Village are separate and independent cities, both of them are small and Rushford Village doesn't have enough websites to warrant its own category at this time. Given their shared histories, and similar names, websites representing local governments, schools, churches, organizations, businesses, or individuals in either Rushford or Rushford Village may be submitted to this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Rushford / Rushford Village on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!