Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Saint Anthony

Saint Anthony, Minnesota usually refers to the city in Hennepin and Ramsey counties, also known as Saint Anthony Village, or it might refer to the very small city of Saint Anthony in Stearns County.

Most of the city is in Hennepin County, while a small portion of it extends into Ramsey County.

Settled in 1880, and incorporated in 1911, the city of Saint Anthony in Stearns County has had a population of under one hundred since 1930, its peak population being 161 in 1920. Situated in Krain Township geographically, Saint Anthony is a separate entity.

Saint Anthony Village, more commonly known simply as Saint Anthony, was settled in 1838, after Franklin Steele, a storekeeper at Fort Snelling, claimed a parcel of land east of Saint Anthony Falls, once the only natural waterfall on the Upper Mississippi River. The land wasn't developed until 1848, but it quickly became a center for milling and trade, rivaling the neighboring town of Minneapolis, west of the falls. In 1858, the Township of Saint Anthony was organized.

Saint Anthony was once the older twin city of Minneapolis, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, across from downtown Minneapolis. However, in 1872, Minneapolis annexed most of the Township of Saint Anthony, particularly the developed part of the township, which now exists as a neighborhood of Minneapolis.

After the annexation, about a thousand acres of agricultural land north of the city retained the name of Saint Anthony, although it was unincorporated. In 1945, the residents of the township voted to incorporate as a village. The state challenged the incorporation, arguing that it was too rural to be a village, but the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled in favor of its incorporation in 1946.

In the years after World War II, the population of Saint Anthony grew rapidly, and residents largely abandoned farming in favor of suburban living. As the Minneapolis suburbs moved outward, Saint Anthony became an inner suburb of Minneapolis but has operated as an independent city since 1973, when the Minnesota Legislature passed legislation naming all municipal designations as cities. The official name of the city is the City of Saint Anthony Village.

In the early 1960s, three sections of the original Township of Saint Anthony were returned to Saint Anthony, giving the village an additional six hundred acres. A large part of this land became the Apache Mall, the tenth indoor shopping mall in the United States when it opened in October of 1961. Opened in the 1950s, the Saint Anthony Shopping Center was the state's first strip mall.

Saint Anthony is about four miles northeast of downtown Minneapolis. Surrounding cities include New Brighton, Roseville, Columbia Heights, and Minneapolis.

The main routes through the city are New Brighton Road (Country Road 88), Silver Lake Road (County Road 136), and Saint Anthony Parkway (County Road 27). Interstate Highway 35-W skims through the southeast corner of Saint Anthony.

Silver Lake and the adjoining Silverwood Park make up the northern section of the city, and the Gross National Golf Club and Sunset Memorial Park comprise southern Saint Anthony. Other parks, green spaces, or recreational areas include Central Park, Salo Park, Emerald Park, Silver Point Park, and Trillium Park.

The focus of this category is Saint Anthony Village, in Hennepin and Ramsey counties, but topics related to Saint Anthony in Stearns County may also be submitted to this category.

Those pertaining to the Minneapolis neighborhood of Saint Anthony should be submitted to the Minneapolis category, however.

Websites representing the municipalities of Saint Anthony Village or Saint Anthony are appropriate for this category, as are those of any businesses, organizations, churches, schools, or individuals in Saint Anthony Village or Saint Anthony.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Saint Anthony on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!