Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Saint Augusta

Saint Augusta, Minnesota is one of the state's newer cities, having been incorporated in May of 2000 in order to avoid annexation by Saint Cloud.

Saint Augusta comes out of Saint Augusta Township, which was settled in 1854 and organized in 1859. Originally called Berlin, the township later became Neenah, before adopting its current name in 1863, after a Catholic church was established there in 1856.

Saint Augusta was platted as a village in 1854 by Augusta Wilson. Although it was approved for incorporation in 1857, it was not incorporated as a village. It incorporated in 2000 under the name of Ventura, for Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura, but the voters elected to change its name to Saint Augusta soon afterward.

The Great Northern Railroad had a station at Saint Augusta, and the community had a post office from 1857 to 1903.

The first school in the region (District 34) was opened. in a log building in 1859, and another school (District 36) began in Luxemburg in 1861. Most of the teachers in both districts were Catholic, and District 34 was considered to be both parochial and public. A third school (District 35) was started in 1868, and was known as the Trout Brook School and the Meyer School.

Saint Augusta has one property on the National Register of Historic Places, the 1873 Saint Mary Help of Christians Church and its 1890 rectory.

The chief routes through the city are Minnesota State Highway 15 and County Road 7, while Interstate Highway 94 and County Road 75 skirt the city's northeastern border. Others include County Roads 115, 136, 141, and 142.

The unincorporated town of Luxemburg is part of the city of Saint Anthony, situated on the west side, along Highway 15. Once the site of an Indian settlement, Luxemburg was named for several of its early settlers, immigrants from Luxembourg, Europe, who settled there in the mid-1800s. Saint Wendelin's Parish was founded there in 1859.

Saint Augusta is bordered by Saint Cloud to the north, Rockville to the west, and Clearwater to the east.

The MIssissippi River flows south just outside the northeastern part of Augusta, while Johnson Creek passes throuth the city. There are several small lakes and ponds within the city including Hidden Lake Park, and many more in the surrounding area. City parks include Kiffmeyer Park and Hidden Lake Park.

The focus of this guide is on the city of Saint Augusta, Minnesota. Websites representing the municipal government are appropriate for this category, as are those of local schools, churches, organizations, businesses, and individuals.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Saint Augusta on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!