Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Savage

Savage is situated on the south banks of the Minnesota River, in northeast Scott County, Minnesota. Previously known as Hamilton, the city was renamed for Marion Willis Savage, who owned and trained the nationally celebrated racehorse, Dan Patch.

The Minnesota River forms the northern border of Savage, separating it from Bloomington. The city abuts Burnsville to the east, Credit River to the south, and Prior Lake to the west. Downtown Minneapolis is about fifteen miles north-northeast.

Several lakes and ponds are found within the city limits of Savage, and others are in the area surrounding the city. There are also several parks in the city, many of them situated around bodies of water, including Boudin's Acres Park, Canterbury Park Recreation Area, Eagle Creek Park, Glendale Park, Hamilton Hills, Heatherton Ridge Park, Hidden Valley Park, Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve, O'Connell Park, Redtail Ridge Park, River Bend Park, River Bend Tot Lot, Savage Community Park, Summit Pointe Park, Trost Park, Twin Ponds Park, Warren Butler Park, and Wood Hill Park. Additionally, most of Rice Lake borders on Savage, and the Credit River flows northwardly through the city.

The area of Savage, which was commonly known as South of the River, was a landing point for Irish and Scottish immigrants in the 1800s.

In 1852, French traders built a small trading post at the juncture of the Credit River and the Minnesota River. William Byrne, an Irish immigrant who had previously stopped in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, came to the area shortly afterward, building Hamilton Landing, a port for boats, which he named for the Canadian town he had come from. The town that grew up along the landing was incorporated as Hamilton Village in 1892. Later, Byrne settled another area which became Burnsville.

The Chicago Northwestern Railroad extended its line to Hamilton in 1865, and a post office was opened in 1866. Soon, the village became a crossroads of river, wagon road, and rail lines.

In 1894, the post office was renamed Glendale, forming Glendale Township to the west of Hamilton, but that township was consolidated with Savage in 1969.

In 1902, Marion Willis Savage bought a racehorse, named Dan Patch, training and racing the horse at his farm in Hamilton. As the notoriety of the horse grew, so did that of the town. In 1904, voters chose to rename the community Savage.

The town was home to Camp Savage, a Military Intelligence School, during World War II. Established in 1942, the school taught Japanese to US military personnel. The school was later relocated to Camp Snelling.

Also during World War II, Cargill began building ships for the US Navy at Meadowland Shipyard, now known as Port Cargill, the former site of Hamilton Landing. After World War II, the port was used to ship agricultural products.

Savage remained small and largely undeveloped through the 1950s. Its population in 1950 was 389. By 1960, it had grown to 1,094. In the 1980s and 1990s, due in large part to upgrades made to Minnesota State Highway 13, and the construction of the Bloomington Ferry Bridge on Highway 169, the city's population grew. Today, its population is in excess of 30,000.

Three public school district serves the city. These are Prior Lake-Savage District 719, Burnsville-Eagan-Savage District 191, and Shakopee School District 720. A portion of the city is within the Bloomington School District, but currently, no households are located in that area. There are also a number of private Christian and secular schools serving the children of Savage.

The focus of this category is on Savage, Minnesota. Websites representing the municipal government or any other governmental agencies or departments located within the city, as well as Savage businesses, organizations, churches, schools, or individuals.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Health & Public Safety

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Savage on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!