Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Scandia

Situated about twenty-five miles northeast of Saint Paul, Minnesota, Scandia is part of the Twin Cities Metro Area.

It is bounded by Marine on St. Croix to the south, Forest Lake to the west, Chisago City to the north, and it is separated from East Farmington by the St. Croix River, which forms its eastern boundary.

Big Marine Lake forms part of the city's southern border, and Keewahtin Lake and Manning Lake form a small portion of its western border.

Several lakes and other bodies of water are within the city limits of Scandia. These include Bone Lake, Fish Lake, German Lake, Goose Lake, Hay Lake, Long Lake, Nielson Lake, Sand Lake, Sea Lake, White Rock Lake, and several other smaller lakes and ponds.

The main routes through the city are Minnesota State Highway 95 (Saint Croix Trail) and Minnesota State Highway 97 (Scandia Trail).

Parks within the city include William Obrien State Park, Scandia Marine Lions Park, Town Park, New Scandia Children's T-Ball Field, and Eko Backen Golf Club.

Although the area that was to become Scandia was settled as early as 1850, when a log cabin was built along Hay Lake, it was New Scandia Township until 2007, when it incorporated as a city in order to avoid annexation by Forest Lake. The Elim Lutheran Church's first sanctuary was built near Hay Lake in 1856.

Once an independent settlement, Copas is a neighborhood of Scandia, situated along the Osceola and St. Croix Valley Railway, now part of the Minnesota Transportation Museum. The John Copas House, built in 1880, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Other historical sites and other attractions in Scandia include the Gammelgarden Museum. Owned by Elim Lutheran Church, the museum was created in 1972 to preserve the Swedish heritage of the region, through its exhibits, as well as its sponsorship of events such as Spelmansstämma, "Midsommarafton", and "Dalapalooza", the latter being a reference to the Dalecarlian horse statues that city erected.

The Hay Lake School was built in 1896, and is now a part of the Gammelgarden complex. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.

The Erickson Log House Museum is focused on a log home that was built by Johannes Erickson and his 13-year-old son, Alfred, in 1868. After Erickson built a new home in 1904, the original home served as a granary, a garage, and a playhouse. In 1974, the Washington County Historical Society had it moved a mile and a half to its current site, where it serves as a museum. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Topics related to the City of Scandia, Minnesota are the focus of sites listed in this category. Websites representing the Scandia municipal government, local schools, churches, museums and historical places, businesses, organizations, and individuals are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Scandia on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!