Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Spring Park

With fewer than 0.5 square miles in area, the city of Spring Park, Minnesota has more than four miles of shoreline on Lake Minnetonka.

Other than a small abutment with Orono, in northeastern Spring Park, the city would be an island. It is connected by bridges with Mound, to the west, and to Island Park, another part of Mound. Otherwise, it is surrounded by West Arm Bay, Black Lake, and Spring Park Bay, parts of the larger Lake Minnetonka.

Other nearby cities include Minnetonka Beach, Minnetrista, and Tonka Bay.

With fewer than two thousand people, the population of Spring Park has remained stable since 1970, after growing from just over two hundred people when it was incorporated in 1951 to just over a thousand people in 1970.

The city maintains 1.5 miles of city roads, with the county maintaining 1.9 miles of road within the boundaries of Spring Park. The main roads running through the city are County Roads 15 and 51. There are two parks within the city, Wilkes Park on Channel Road, and Thor Thompson Park on Sunset Drive.

The first records of land ownership in the area that was to become Spring Park was dated 1850, showing that William Byers owned 156.24 acres of land, which included Spring Park. Spring Park Bay was originally known as Byers Bay. In 1853, the land of Spring Park was owned by John Carmen, who also owned Casco Point.

Spring Park was laid out in 1880, at which time it included 148 acres of land.

The Great Northern Railroad was extended to Spring Park in 1882, which made the area extremely popular with tourists. During its busiest period of the 1880s, more than fifteen trains a day stopped at Spring Park, where tourists were met by the Lake Minnetonka White Line Transportation Company, whose Steamer Excelsior would take people to their destinations around the lake.

In 1887, the Hotel Del Otero was constructed on Shoreline Drive, at Spring Park Bay. A casino was built on the Water Patrol property. The hotel burned to the ground in 1945.

The Minnetonka Telephone Company extended its lines to Spring Park at the turn of the 20th century.

In 1917, Spring Park School District #87 consolidated with neighboring communities to build a new building in Mound.

Spring Park incorporated as a village in 1951, at which time it included 82.5 acres of land, and had a population of 221. Soon afterward, it became a city.

Over the years, tourism decreased in the region, and the year-round population grew slowly, with families attracted to the lakeshore community.

Today, although the city has a few businesses, it is mostly a residential community. One of the city's most popular businesses is Lord Fletcher's Old Lake Lodge, a popular restaurant in northeastern Spring Park.

The city grew slightly in 1963 when it annexed six homes at the east end of Del Otero from Orono

The Hennepin County Water Patrol headquarters was built in 1968, dismantled in 1996, and rebuilt in 1997. Prior to the Water Patrol, the property was owned by the city, which maintained a public beach there. An artesian well is located there.

The original city offices were on Park Lane. The building that now houses the City Hall was built in 1906, and formerly known as the Old Spring Park School. It was moved to its current location on Warren Avenue from Dunwoody Avenue in Orono. Although it is designated a village historical site, it cannot be listed on the Minnesota Historical Register because it has been moved from its original location.

The focus of this guide is on the city of Spring Park, Minnesota. Websites representing the municipal government and any of its programs or departments are appropriate topics for this category, as are any Spring Park organizations, churches, schools, businesses, or individuals.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Spring Park on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!