Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Vadnais Heights

Named for a large lake in the western part of the city, Vadnais Heights, Minnesota is in Ramsey County.

Vadnais Heights is bordered by North Oaks to the north, White Bear Lake to the northeast, Gem Lake to the east, Maplewood and Little Canada to the south, and Shoreview to the west. Interstate Highways 35-E and 694, US Highway 61, and County Highway 96 are the main routes through the city.

Besides Vadnais Lake, Sucker Lake, Willow Lake, and a portion of Twin Lake are within the city limits. Vadnais Lake itself is surrounded by protected land with miles of walking trails. Boating and swimming in the lake is permitted only in a designated area on the southwest side.

Parks in Vadnais Heights include Bear Park, Berwood Park, Bridgewood Park, Community Park West, Community Park East, Elmwood Park, Greenhaven Park, Heritage Park, Kohler Meadows Park, Lily Pond Park, Morningdale Park, Oak Creek Park, Vadnais Sucker Lake Regional Park, Westfield Park, and Wolters Park. The city operates ice rinks at Community Park and Westfield Park, and several of its parks include sports fields.

When the first white settlers came to the region that was to become Vadnais Heights, it was part of the Wisconsin Territory, and the first settlers were French Canadians. In 1850, the community pooled together to form a school near what is now Centerville Road on Edgerton Street. Lessons were in French, so the school was ineligible for county funding.

Lake Vadnais School District #6 was created in 1853, offering lessons in English, although nearly all of its students spoke French as a first language.

In 1858, Minnesota became a state, White Bear Lake Township was created, and Vadnais Heights became part of White Bear Township. Area settlers were primarily farmers, and many of them supplemented their income by hunting and trapping.

In the 1870s, a general store and blacksmith shop were opened, and the settlement became a stagecoach stop. A new school was built in 1875.

In 1887, the stagecoach was replaced by the railroad. Known as Cardigan Junction, the depot was part of a chain of three depots: Cardigan, Carnelian, and Bulwer Junction. Cardigan Junction was a switching point for the Sault Saint Marie and Atlantic Railroad, commonly known as the Soo Line. The station house was a 20-by-80-foot wood structure on timber block. Operated full-time by a telegrapher, the manager's family also lived in part of the depot.

As roads became smoother and automobiles became more common, residents of Vadnais Heights were able to take jobs in Saint Paul or elsewhere. Truck farming also became important.

With a population of about two thousand, residents of Vadnais Heights voted to incorporate as a village in 1957, largely due to a threat of annexation by White Bear Lake. The Village Hall was built in 1965, a fire department was formed in 1970, and Vadnais Heights became a city in 1974.

Beginning in the 1950s, some of the larger landowners began subdividing their land, forming housing developments, leading to increasing urbanization and decreasing dependence on agriculture. More and more, urbanization has taken over the future of the city.

This is a guide to the city of Vadnais Heights, Minnesota. Appropriate topics for this category include websites representing the municipal government, as well as local businesses, churches, schools, organizations, events, or individuals.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Vadnais Heights on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!