Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Victoria

Victoria, in Carver County, Minnesota, is a city of lakes and parks. Abutting the city, and within its borders, are more than two hundred acres of reserved land, thirteen parks, and thirteen lakes, nine within the city limits.

Within the city limits, or touching its borders, are Lake Auburn, Carl Krey Lake, Church Lake, Kelser's Pond, Schutz Lake, Stieger Lake, Stone Lake, Sunny Lake, Tamarack Lake, Lake Virginia, Wasserman Lake, Zumbra Lake, and Smithtown Bay of Lake Minnetonka. Nearby lakes include Lake Bavaria, Carver Lake, Crosby Lake, Marsh Lake, Lake Minnewashta, Pierson Lake, Lake Saint Joe, and Turbid Lake.

The city's parks include a large portion of the Carver Park Reserve, a portion of the University of Minnesota Arboretum, Diethelm Park, Lions Park, and the Victoria Recreation Center. The Deer Run Golf Club is also in Victoria.

Major highways serving the city are Minnesota State Highways 5 and 7, which connect with US Route 212. County Roads 11, 13, 18, and 43 also run through Victoria.

The city abuts the cities of Chanhassen, Chaska, and Minnetrista, as well as Laketown Township.

Artifacts suggest that there were Native American villages in the area prior to its settlement by whites, including a year-round village between Stieger Lake and Lake Auburn.

The first known white settler in the region was Michael Diethelm, a Swiss immigrant who built a home there in 1851, bringing his wife the following year. His brother Carl brought his family, setting up a claim not far away. After the 1853 Treaty of Mendota, other white settlers came.

After years of disagreement over a name for the settlement, families on the north side of Lake Bavaria and those on the south side reached an agreement. Two families on the north side contributed thirty acres of land for a church, and it was named Saint Victoria, a favored saint among some of the families on the south side.

Saint Victoria Parish was formed in 1855, and a log church and school were built in 1858. A second church was constructed out of brick in 1870 and, in 1875, a larger, two-story school was built.

Early settlers were largely farmers who grew potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and corn, with wheat being a common cash crop. Black currants, cranberries, gooseberries, grapes, raspberries, and strawberries were readily available. Tamarack trees supplied the lumber for their homes. Carl Dietholm's son, Michael, opened the town's first store. A post office was opened in 1863, but the post office name was Laketown. In 1883, it was changed to Victoria.

A railroad was constructed to Victoria in 1882, which helped bring supplies from Saint Paul and nearby Chaska. When automobiles were introduced to the region, Victoria Drive was the primary road serving Victoria, connecting the city with Chaska, Saint Bonifacius, and Watertown.

Victoria was incorporated as a village in 1915, and it became a city in the 1970s when the state legislature made cities of all of the villages in the state.

This is a guide to the city of Victoria, Minnesota. Websites representing the municipal government or any businesses, industries, churches, schools, organizations, individuals, or events in Victoria are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Victoria on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!