Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » West Concord

Surrounded by Concord Township, the city of West Concord, Minnesota is in northern Dodge County. This is a guide to the city.

West Concord is in southeastern Minnesota, south of the Middle Fork of the Zumbro River, and west of the Richard J. Dorer Memorial Hardwood State Forest.

County Roads 24 (Concord Street) and 56 (State Street) intersect in the center of the city, with nearly all of its developed area south of County Road 24. Nearby cities include Dodge Center (9.6 miles south), Claremont (12.9 miles southwest), Kasson (14.6 miles southeast), and Pine Island (16.6 miles northeast).

West Concord was formed when the Chicago Great Western Railroad laid its tracks west of the former town of Concord, establishing a station there, prompting businesses, churches, and people to move to be nearer to the railroad.

West Concord was platted in the summer of 1885, and a post office was established there. Incorporated as a village in 1894, West Concord became a city in the 1970s when the Minnesota State Legislature made cities of all incorporated municipalities in the state.

Most of the city's early settlers were from New England, New York, or Pennsylvania. The city took its name from the township and former town, which were named for Concord, New Hampshire, the hometown of one of the early settlers.

In 1990, the West Concord School District merged with those of Dodge Center and Claremont to form Triton Public Schools, after which the West Concord High School became Triton Junior High School, and Dodge Center became the home of Triton Senior High School, Triton Primary School, Triton Middle School, and the district headquarters. In 2012, West Concord Public Charter School was opened as a free public school, but it closed after two years due to low enrollment.

Faith Community Church was founded in Concord in 1863 as the Concord Baptist Church, moving to West Concord after the settlement grew up around the railroad station. Within West Concord, the church has moved a few times, and changed names a couple of times.

Saint Vincent de Paul Catholic Church merged with Saint John Baptist de la Salle Parish in Dodge Center in 2016, after which the West Concord church was closed.

Affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Trinity Lutheran Church began in 1951.

Appropriate topics for this category include websites representing the municipality, as well as local churches, schools, industries, businesses, organizations, events, and individuals.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for West Concord on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!