Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » West Saint Paul

Despite its name, West Saint Paul is actually directly south of Saint Paul, and west of South Saint Paul. It also abuts Lilydale, Mendota Heights, and Sunfish Lake.

In the late 1800s, another city named West Saint Paul was situated in what is now the Lower West Side of Saint Paul. When Saint Paul annexed the former city, the current West Saint Paul split from the western half of South Saint Paul and was incorporated as a city in 1889. Except for a slight decrease in population in the 1970s, West Saint Paul has grown every decade.

US Highway 52 (Lafayette Freeway), Minnesota State Highway 62, and Robert Street are the main routes through the city. Interstate Highway 494 is just south of West Saint Paul.

West Saint Paul is in northern Dakota County. Due to a northern loop in the river, West Saint Paul is east, south, and west of the Mississippi River, although the river does not enter its boundaries.

West Saint Paul has several lakes and bodies of water within its boundaries, many of which are associated with parks. Thompson Park, near the city's eastern border, is built around Thompson Lake. Lily Lake is just above it. Gladstone Park encircles a lake, as does Marthaler Park. Dodge Nature Center incorporates four lakes, and Weschcke Park is just above it, separated by Wentworth Avenue. Mud Lake Park encircles a small lake by that name. Other parks include Charles Matson Field, Garlough Park, Harmon Field, Kennedy Park, Orme Park, Southview Park, Weschcke Park, and West Saint Paul Sports Center. Additionally, there is the Southview Country Club and Thompson Oaks Golf Course.

Today, the major employers in West Saint Paul are the Dakota County government, which operates a service center and courthouse in the city, Independent School District #197, and TapeMark, a medical adhesives manufacturer.

In the early 1800s, the Sioux villages of Kaposia, to the east, and Mendota, to the west, bordered the area that is now West Saint Paul. The first white settlers came to the area in 1848, and a townsite was platted in 1855, although it became part of South Saint Paul when that city was formed in 1887. Disputes led to a split in 1889, leading to the incorporation of West Saint Paul, which is legally unrelated to the first West Saint Paul.

Despite being separate legal entities, the cities of West Saint Paul and South Saint Paul share fire and Department of Motor Vehicle services, although they maintain separate police departments.

This is a guide to the city of West Saint Paul, Minnesota. Appropriate topics for this category include websites associated with the municipal government, any other government departments or entities located in West Saint Paul, or local industries, businesses, organizations, churches, schools, or individuals.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for West Saint Paul on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!