Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Marquand

Located along the banks of the Castor River in eastern Madison County, Missouri, the small town of Marquand was incorporated as a town in 1906, although it was settled as early as 1804 by Captain Henry Whitener and Michael Mouser, at which time it was known as the Whitener Settlement. In 1869, the town was renamed by Henry G. Marquand, an administrator with the railroad who contributed a thousand dollars for the building of a Presbyterian church. Shortly after the church was completed, the church failed and the building was acquired by the Methodists. Prior to the Civil War, there were four subscription schools in Marquand, in which students paid a dollar a month to attend, sitting on seats made from split logs. Marquand is surrounded by the Mark Twain National Forest, and access through Missouri Highway A. The community of Grisham is southeast of Marquand, while Hurricane is east, and Castor Station is to the north.



Recommended Resources

Search for Marquand on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!