Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Pacific

Laid out in 1852, the town of Pacific was first known as Franklin, but was shortly afterwards renamed for the Atlantic-Pacific Railroad, a new railroad extending to the Pacific Ocean. The first home in the area that was to become Pacific was a log cabin constructed in 1820. A covered bridge over the Meramec River was built south of Pacific in 1838. The Atlantic-Pacific Railroad completed its tracks to Franklin in 1853, and the town’s post office was opened in 1854. In 1859, Franklin changed its name to Pacific, and was incorporated as a fourth-class city. In 1864, Confederate General Price invaded occupied the city, while Union troops were dispatched from St. Louis along the railroad to nearby Allentown, and the two forces met between the two towns, and a battled ensued in which the Union forces were victorious. In 1871, the city got its first newspaper, and the Pacific Railroad moved its shops and built a depot in Pacific. However, in 1891, a fire destroyed every building on St. Louis Street between First and Columbus. Today, Pacific is situated along Interstate Highway 44, which is also US Highway 50, with historical Route 66 passing through the town. The Meramec River is situated on the east and south parts of town, Gray Summit is west of Pacific, Eureka is to the east, and Catawissa and Robertsville are southwest of Pacific. The city extends into both Franklin and St. Louis counties.


Faith & Spirituality



Recommended Resources

Search for Pacific on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!